Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski vs S&B - best low light scope

Established Poster

Swarovski vs S&B - best low light scope

Hi All

I'm trying to work out which decent second hand scope to get. I was thinking that top German glass was the way to go, and had been favouring a swaro. I'm on a tight budget but there appear to be some that drop into my price range with 50mm objective lenses.

However, a friend has advised that I look at the S&B classic (German) 56mm which he claims would be even better in low light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    Hi All

I'm trying to work out which decent second hand scope to get. I was thinking that top German glass was the way to go, and had been favouring a swaro. I'm on a tight budget but there appear to be some that drop into my price range with 50mm objective lenses.

However, a friend has advised that I look at the S&B classic (German) 56mm which he claims would be even better in low light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom
    Swaro, S&B or Zeiss they are all good to give extra 10 mins in low light, main criteria for me would be 30mm tube, 56mm obj, variable mag to wind down at dusk( ie not 8X56 fixed) and illum ret,

Peeps will say illum ret not that important but if you want perfect low light shot placement against a dark target its a must imo.

Dont forget to get best binos you can afford, you will be looking thru these far more than the scope to pos ID that buck lol.

All the best WB

SD Regular
    Nice S&B 8x56 for sale on here now - a no brainer as a stalking scope on a budget...... BTW, 25 or 30mm tube will make no odds to light gathering.....
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 29-12-2014 at 13:50.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I would always consider a variable power scope for versatility.Zeiss has the brightest glass,to my eyes,but Swaro are a close second and don't forget Meopta.

I have S&B. Zenith on all mine. 2.5 - 10 x 56 flash dot 7 reticule.

Cannot fault them, perfect for dawn and twilight, fantastic glass, good all round scope

I would get a scope with a illuminated reticule, it does help for that more accurate shot at dusk, it takes out any guess work, it doesn't give you any longer time, just pin point accuracy which is want you want at dusk to ensure a good shot placement

Eigher will be just as good as each other personally I'd choose Swarovski for the easy to use quality after service

and illumination everytime for me as stated when your looking into a wood if you don't no where your cross hairs are how can you take a humane shot just flick the illum on the almost lowest setting perfect you know where u are and it won't effect your natural night vision

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    My biggest problem with illuminated reticules is that they may encourage you to take a shot when it is too dark.
    Ten your left to grope around in the dark trying to find where you shot the animal and of course it might have run 100m.
    Binoculars have the wonderful effect of making you believe it is lighter than it is. This then is not transferred in to your scope.
    Not saying don't get an IR scope, just if your on a budget then you really don't need it.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Established Poster
    Thanks for the thoughts all. I guess that top glass is top glass; and I should perhaps focus more on the spec.

I think illuminated reticles are unlikely on my budget, but I will certainly be after a variable mag scope if I can afford it.

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by tom_o_m; 03-01-2015 at 01:20.

Before making your final decision about which scope to get, think about the fact that big diameter scopes weigh more than smaller ones, they spoil the rifle ballance (variables are heavier too) and they make it necessary to raise the stock comb for correct eye alingnment & cheek weld.
    Also big lenses collect more dirt & raindrops than small ones. - sun shades help keep things cleaner.
    I think that 50mm diameter objectives are the max as a working compromise, even with the scope set low against the rifle. 56mm being a bit OTT.
    I started with small diameter - started with 32mm - went big gradually up to 56mm - now going back the other way.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Before making your final decision about which scope to get, think about the fact that big diameter scopes weigh more than smaller ones, they spoil the rifle ballance (variables are heavier too) and they make it necessary to raise the stock comb for correct eye alingnment & cheek weld.
    Also big lenses collect more dirt & raindrops than small ones. - sun shades help keep things cleaner.
    I think that 50mm diameter objectives are the max as a working compromise, even with the scope set low against the rifle. 56mm being a bit OTT.
    I started with small diameter - started with 32mm - went big gradually up to 56mm - now going back the other way.

Ian

Agreed. . . I'm currently using a 42 objective on my .222 and a 50 on my .308
    I have owned scopes with 56 objectives but won't again.
    Far too heavy and unwieldy for next to no advantage.