Scope choice and Ballistic Turret?

cjs66

OK, Ive narrowed my new scope choice down to Swarovski. (I'll buy one when the cheque clears from selling a kidney) Either, 3-18 x 50 or 2.5-15 x 56. Prob the later but, there is a nice second hand 3-18 on the site. Any advice on choice, also is it worth having the Ballistic Turret? Please note this is for a stalking rifle and not for target shooting. I am mainly woodland but, I do get the odd hill and park invite, hence the preference for a variable scope. It's to go on Blaser R8, 308 and maybe cross over onto the 22-250 barrel. Is there a noticeable difference in light gathering in the two scopes? So if anyone has experience of both, please keep me right. Cheers fellas.
cjs

I've got a z6i 2.5x15x56 and I've had the 3x18x50

i i would go with the 56mm obj as it's 1 1/2 inch shorter length than the 50mm obj so doesn't look Overly long

ballistic turret is very usefull to have as it takes the guess work out of longer ranges

have you considered the Swarovski SR rail mount for your blaser its a more Solid mounting system zero movement with recoil and mounts a bit lower and no scope rings to worry about

ive gone rail mount on my mauser and havnt looked back

Cheers Mark, I'd not even given the rail mount a thought really. Something else to keep in mind. Also thanks for the tip about scope length. Not having had both in my hands at the same time I'd not of known that...

I have the Swarovski 2.5x15x56 on an r8 . Best scope/rifle combo for hunting in my opinion. I would go for the rail mount as well. I didn't!!!
atb Steve

I've got a z6i 2.5x15x56 and I've had the 3x18x50

i i would go with the 56mm obj as it's 1 1/2 inch shorter length than the 50mm obj so doesn't look Overly long

ballistic turret is very usefull to have as it takes the guess work out of longer ranges

have you considered the Swarovski SR rail mount for your blaser its a more Solid mounting system zero movement with recoil and mounts a bit lower and no scope rings to worry about
+1

IMO the Z6 is a brilliant choice for your use with a scope with a BT. I can confirm that my PBC on my BT does exactly what it says on the tin. Swarovski BT PBC - Page 2

I don't use Z6I as I don't have use for it, but it might be useful in a woodland situation.

Good luck on your quest, whichever scope you get I doubt you will be disappointed.

If you was after a Swarovski SR rail mount for your blaser im sure Artur on here would sort you out he's very good to deal with from my own experience

Hi Markfox
I got a Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 for my new rifle, I wasn't sure about the BT option but I'm glad I went for it now that I've used it.
I hesitated cos although I've used BT scopes for long range shooting I didn't really see the need for stalking, but now that I've set my scope up and used them I couldn't imagine not using them.
The Swarovski app is good, just dial in the clicks and the scope is spot on, I checked at 100 200 & 300m ranges and the scope was spot on at each - comforting.

I've seen Blasers set up with dedicated rails for SB and Swaro scopes, looked rock solid they did too.
A Z6i on the dedicated rail seems like the (expensive) ticket - if you can afford it, go for it, I doubt you'll regret it.
Good luck

So, by the sounds of things you boys have expensive taste, and the 2.5-15x56 with rail mount and BT is the one to go for. Are we all sure that the BT is not a bit of a waste of money on a stalking scope? Is is not just one more thing to worry about/faff on with before a shot. I had a feeling the bigger objective was the right one. It's good to get feed back from people with hands on with the subject in hand.. Thanks all. cjs

A ballistic turret will encourage you to shoot well past normal stalking ranges you naughty boy :D, you will be taking unethically longshots :D

So, by the sounds of things you boys have expensive taste, and the 2.5-15x56 with rail mount and BT is the one to go for. Are we all sure that the BT is not a bit of a waste of money on a stalking scope? Is is not just one more thing to worry about/faff on with before a shot. I had a feeling the bigger objective was the right one. It's good to get feed back from people with hands on with the subject in hand.. Thanks all. cjs

expensive yes

I've got a Z6I 2.5-15x56 BT in rings and a Z6I 2.5-15x44 SR rail mount no BT both for my mauser M03

i like the 56mm with BT for foxing as its mostley at night so every little helps and I can set the zero for the size of field across so I know if charlie is there he's dead no guess work

i like the 44mm non BT for stalking as its a bit lighter and no fuss 200 yard zero so about 1 inch and a bit at 100

ive noticed no difference in light gathering between the two scopes

Does the Swarovski bt turrets lock (there new style ones PDC)? Like the Zeiss asv turrets.

A mate got a zeiss with just an elevation turret, lift and turn to desired range and shoot out too about 600yds I think,i think therebis some kind of insert to suit your calibres drops so elevations work, its a great idea, maybe someone could explain it better,

This isn't perfect but might give you some ideas. It is the best scope test I've ever seen despite the rather limited selection of scopes tested. Clearly this was a test of long range scopes rather than stalking scopes so optical quality wasn't the only priority. It was double blind and the outcome is very interesting though no surprise that zeiss tops the optical quality. It was a big shock to me how badly khales did in terms of optical quality and a surprise that night force did so well.

2014 High-End Rifle Scope Field Test Underway | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Back