Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argo Vs Quad

Argo Vs Quad

I am thinking of changing my quad bike and considering either a new bike or an Argo 8x8.

Any comments, pros and cons would be very much appreciated.

Main activity is woodland and some open hill stalking.

Thanks - Ben

i have seen argos and quads in action and there isn't much between an argo and a quad with KENDA EXECUTIONER tyres on it!
    i would be tempted to say 4k would get you a more reliable quad than an argo!
    when buying an argo know your stuff coz there are some wrecks around.

I have just been told that Argo reliability is a problem.........

Reliability isn't a problem but they are higher maintenance than a quad, going to be, they have more wheels. The upside is they don't get bogged down in swamp like a quad, and they carry a lot more.

it's horses for courses again each has +&-
    only you can decide on exactly what conditions you use it in I have my quad with me most of the time but an argo every time on the hill is best

I've owned a few Argo's over the years , 6 and 8 wheel versions . We , me and my brother , still own an 8 wheeler , the are very capable machines . We mostly use ours for pulling out Moose from muskeg ( very large bogs ) and in that role they're hard to beat . They do require regular maintenance , especially the drive chains , but it's something you can do yourself . As nick 308 says , take a good look at any Argo before you buy it , a lot of the used ones I've looked at were rode hard and put away wet , don't buy someone else problems . One downside to an Argo is they're a pain in the ass to haul around and you need space to store them . To be honest , unless you're going to be pulling large loads out of boggy country on a regular basis , you'd probably be better off with a quad . You'll get more machine for the money that way , a good Argo isn't cheap . We use quads most of the time and they work just fine . My brother just bought a Can Am 800 ? , it is an amazingly powerful machine and it's a lot easier to carry around . I'm not trying to put you off of an Argo , it's just a big , and expensive , piece of equipment . The new quads are more than up to most tasks I can think of . I guess it boils down to what your needs are and , more importantly , what your budget is . I hope this helps with your decision .

AB

the Argo is good when its well maintained but parts are expensive and if it brakes down and cant be repaired in situ its very difficult to tow even if you do have another Argo available we had to recover one slung under a helicopter if you can get of with the quad its a lot less hassle

Sounds like oversized tyres on the Quad is the way to go. I wont shoot enough deer to cover the cost of a major breakdown.

Thanks - Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-30-17-39-10-430738211.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	50845
    Get yourself a set of dual wheels

Quote Originally Posted by nick.308 View Post
    i have seen argos and quads in action and there isn't much between an argo and a quad with KENDA EXECUTIONER tyres on it!
    i would be tempted to say 4k would get you a more reliable quad than an argo!
    when buying an argo know your stuff coz there are some wrecks around.
    +1 for the Kenda Mud Executioner tyres, I have them on my RTV.... unstoppable ! (nearly)

Ed