Thread: 45 Long Colt

45 Long Colt

Does anyone shoot this calibre? What powder do you use?

Cheers
    Roodles

Ive got a .45 Colt and I have been using Bullseye and AA No7, I going to try Unique in it next. And I have also shot it using 35grain of Black powder, although thats very messy!

I have a .45 Colt (don't start the "Long Colt" argument! ) Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

I shoot 250gr RNFP and 255gr cast bullets loaded light for gallery rifle comp.

Tried Trail Boss and VVN340 but settled on 5.6gr GM3 with a light crimp.

The 'traditional' loading for the cartridge in pre-Dunblane pistol days was a 250gn cast lead bullet, Alliant Unique (can't remember exact load, likely in the 8-10gn range but check that!) and the airspace above the powder filled with toilet paper wadding whicfh blew out of the muzzle unburned but shredded. It's a tolerant cartridge but its case was designed for much bulkier black powder so has too much room for most smokeless propellants.

I always preferred .44 Rem Magnum over both 357 and 45 in the days when I shot a lot of levergun gallery rifle loads, always seemed an inherently more accurate number in Marlin 1894s.

SD Regular
    I'd second LAURIE. I think that Bullseye in .45 Colt is an accident....or a double charge waiting to happen...I'd stop it. I've used blackpowder, once, that was in a Colt New Service in .45 Colt and six rounds double action was one big cloud of smoke!

Nowadays in my .44 Magnum I use Green Dot because that is what my local shooting centre had "left over" and cheap. But Trail Boss I've also used in .44 Magnum and found that it worked well and filled the case. I think it would be a good choice for .45 Colt.

FWIW I never bothered with the loo paper wadding or anything like that in .45 Colt.

Thanks for the replies. Yep I'm using 2400 at the moment for .357, no chance of a double charge there!

Do people tend to 'download' this cartridge for gallery, or is it just a one size fits all?

Cheers
    Roodles

Friends of mine shoot the .45 Colt for Cowboy Action, and load it down a bit, with cast bullets, using a bit faster powder for their rifles ( Rossi 92) than their Ruger Vaqueros. The smokeless loads are so small that you have to be careful about being exact. Trailboss seems to be preferred by some, as it is fluffy and fills up the case more. Some powders are really position sensitive, and with a lot of air in the case, that can be a problem for accuracy. I can ask them, as most have tried about every bullet and powder. One of them also hunts hogs and deer with his rifle, so he is probably the best source.

Cowboy Action Shooting is pretty big, and there are multiple web sites, so that is a good place to look.
    Last edited by Southern; 30-12-2014 at 20:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    The 'traditional' loading for the cartridge in pre-Dunblane pistol days was a 250gn cast lead bullet, Alliant Unique (can't remember exact load, likely in the 8-10gn range but check that!) and the airspace above the powder filled with toilet paper wadding whicfh blew out of the muzzle unburned but shredded. It's a tolerant cartridge but its case was designed for much bulkier black powder so has too much room for most smokeless propellants.

I always preferred .44 Rem Magnum over both 357 and 45 in the days when I shot a lot of levergun gallery rifle loads, always seemed an inherently more accurate number in Marlin 1894s.
    I have loaded many hundreds of rounds of 45 Long Colt (as it is commonly called now) with Unique and used NO filler. It's a silly, potentially dangerous practice that deserves to die off in print and in practice.~Muir