Another call out

cookingfat

Got a call from a mate this morning about 8am on my way to work at a local sooting school, he had shot and wounded a roe doe and could not find it, he said there was a little blood and a pice of bone at the shot sight.
I told him to mark the shot sight and i would have a look with one of the pups after lunch when i had finnished work.
got to the shot sight about 3pm witch was in the middle of a 80 acre wood, not much blood but 5 pices of bone and a lot of hair, had a look in the hair book and worked out it was from one of its legs, followed blood spots for about 20 yards then spots about every 10-15 feet, this one was very mobile, this was not going to be easy for my young pup, after some 40 minutes of one and going back on the trail we came to a spot where there was a lot more blood then there had been, probable where she had stoped for a wile, the trail then came to the edge of the wood and we are looking over a big field of rape witch was a bit of a problem as it was the farm boundery, the pup was telling us the trail went out across the field, put the bins up and sure enough there was a deer layed up on the far hedge about 150 yards out sitting up but not looking to happy, phoned the keeper to ask if i could follow it up, he said yes, did not wont to take the dog out to it in case it got up and ran again and as the pup is not capable of bringing it down yet i took the shot from the wood, the shot was good and the doe was distpatched.
the pup then followed the trail out to the deer and she got her reward.

pete's three legged one.jpgsue and ruby 1.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
Excellent result! :cool:

I know it can happen to us all, but crikey, did he say what had happened with the shot to end up back there? :eek:

Alex

Fair play to your mate. It would have been easy for him to brush it under the carpet & left the doe in agony. Well done to you both & to your pup.

Good result in finding the Deer, the pup looks like she wants to go again.
Good onya for helping someone out like that.
Atb
Moe..

Thanks for all your coments,
just one more thing to let you know, that the doe had gone a 1000 yards from the shot site with that back leg compleatly broken.
As for poor shooting, yes it was, this was his first like this, and as we all no, the more you shoot the more chance of something like this happening, but as stringer said he could have brushed it under the carpet, fair play to him for doing something about it.

Fantastic piece of tracking.

I have seen an identical hind leg shot, the roe doe was only 60 yards away but the bullet must have taken a big deflection off a sapling en route to the target. Luckily for the stalker the deer ran towards and passed him, as it did so he realised that something was not right and rolled it over with a running shot.

Spot shows how valuable a trained dog is in this scenario, well done to all, no one likes to see suffering amazing how far they will travel even with such an injury.

Nice looking lab

Brian

Back