Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt cleaning?

Bolt cleaning?

I shoot a Tikka m595 and was-wondering what cleaning/maintenance is needed,if any. Thanks

I think a soft toothbrush once in a while should suffice, but I am sure someone with more knowledge will be able to explain whether this is the case.

Strip the bolt as per the above, clean all the bits, check for signs of rust on the bolt inner parts & remove it if present, use a non-gumming oil & apply very sparingly to all parts, (blow off any excess with dry compressed air if possible) re-assemble as per You tube, grease the bolt lug bearing surfaces & rear cam bearers, clean the action bolt lug recesses & the job's done.

Ian

That just about covers it. Many thanks Ian.

Once stripped, clean and re- oil with LIGHT application to the mainspring.

I use Napier spray mostly.

A regular cleaning regime is better than none to prevent misfire from dirt ingress and moisture leading to rusty firing pin / main spring

Ive gave my 22lr bolt a good scrape and brush but never done my cf rifles, I wipe them with a silicone cloth but never cleaned

Great thread, will give that a try after dinner. Now I need to find a vid on doing the same for a Remmy 700 but I seem to remember that you needed a tool for that job...

A mate showed me how to do a remmy using a penny, I cant really remember how though, probably I video on utube

Quote Originally Posted by Neumo View Post
    Great thread, will give that a try after dinner. Now I need to find a vid on doing the same for a Remmy 700 but I seem to remember that you needed a tool for that job...

Buy a bolt tool or use your shoelace to pull back the cocking piece so you can unscrew the shroud / pin assembly rearwards until its unscrews from the bolt body completely.

Theres a knack to it, but its easy to master.

Some of the replies here prompt an allied question: How many bother to 'relax' the bolt's main spring prior to storage?

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.