New scales

Jos

This might be a silly question but here goes anyway.

I've just got a new set of scales and now I am wondering if I will need to do trial loads with them to see if I get the same grouping as the older scales.
Both sets of scales are RCBS.
I used my mates scales (rcbs 5-0-5) and now using my own (rcbs 5-0-2).
Do you think they will be calibrated to the same weight or do you think they might have slight differences?

Jos

your scales should be calibrated to the same benchmark as all scales, if you are a little unsure, just compare the two, ONCE, then use em'!:)

Make darned sure you set the tare on them... set them to zero balance. Then, you shouldn't have any need to compare scales. You can if you wish but I'm guessing it will be a waste of time. Remember that a scale is only zeroed (tare, set) in the exact spot it sits at the time. If you move it to a different spot on the bench it must be re-set. I have a shelf set at eye-level at the back of my loading bench and the scale sits there all the time. I never move it but check the tare every time I use is nonetheless.~Muir

So do you think there is no point in pulling an older bullet then calibrating the same amount of powder from that?

Uh-oh. I sense danger!
Quality reloading scales are just that. They are built to be accurate from the start and companies like RCBS have never had an issue with their scales. Kept clean and kept in balance, they will be accurate. If you bang your scale around, leave it out with the chickens, or started out with and inappropriate scale to begin with, then yes. Use scale check weights.

I use an Ohaus Dial-o-Grain that is 35 years old, at least. It is kept in trim and clean and I have no reason to doubt its accuracy. I do however, have pause when I look at blister-packed brass scale check weights. What would I use to check them??~Muir

So do you think there is no point in pulling an older bullet then calibrating the same amount of powder from that?

No point whatsoever unless you suspected the other scale to begin with, or it was used improperly.

Let me ask you this: What powder and what caliber? What charge?? I ask this because when I was shooting Cast Bullet Benchrest, there was a popular cartoon that used to circulate around the meets. It showed an old-timer talking to the newbie and the newbie says, "Man! I'm tired! I stayed up all night reloading. I weighed each charge to the tenth of a grain!" The old timer pats him on the shoulder and says, "Don't worry. You'll get over that."

Meaning, that in most cases, weighing powder to an exactitude isn't necessary, so using a previously weighed charge to set your new scale would be moot.~Muir

Last edited:
Back