Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting deer with shot guns...

SD Regular

Shooting deer with shot guns...

Whilst mooching the internet for my thread reply on the rifled slug thread in this section I found this:

I think I should have the support of most people who have woodlands in Scotland when I say that there is seldom any practical way of keeping roe deer under control except by shooting them with heavy shot from a shot-gun. Since the roe deer is much smaller than red deer or fallow deer, if it is sufficiently close, and if the shot-gun is fired by someone who is a reasonable shot, there is no reason why the deer should not be killed stone dead. It is very difficult in thick cover and thick undergrowth to control roe deer in any other way.
    Any idea whom, when, where? No prizes but how things change. The roe deer now no longer being considered, as was in my late father's day, as "vermin" by some but now as a very marketable asset on a sporting estate and "woodland stalking" not as some sort of continental affectation or perversion but as a legitimate and saleable sporting pastime.

This isn't intended BTW the open a "can of worms" about shot guns on deer. I have my views and they aren't going to be published here. But other than that request not to start another controversy any ideas as to the the three Ws? Whom, when, where?

No prizes but I'll post the answer early in 2015.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 31-12-2014 at 22:19.

Certainly an interesting viewpoint being expressed there. I have to admit that I know the answer, further admitting having stumbled across it on the self same internet, so I'll keep schtum!

Too easy Enfield, I can hear him saying it as if it were only yesterday.

The Duke of Atholl speaking in a committee debate on the Deer (Amendment)(Scotland) Bill on the 7th March 1967.

Certainly some different points of view and attitudes expressed in that debate as reported in Hansard to those that would be considdered acceptable today.

P.S. I lied, I wasn't even in this country at that time but the power of google and the internet is a wonder to behold.
    Last edited by 8x57; 01-01-2015 at 07:19.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

There is an estate on the Cotswolds that think it is still acceptable to have roe drives with rifles and shotguns used. It is nice to think that we live in more enlightened times but there are still one or two dinosaurs out there.

Happy new year one and all.

Ok, I'm going to be the first to stir the 2015 s**t

i would agree greed with this statement, I've shot quite a few roe with a shot gun and as said in the original post, it's a very effective control measure.
    Of course I would always reach for a rifle but the shot gun in the right hands and circumstances is a very efficient tool. I took part in a Roe Deer drive in Denmark years ago and was quite sceptical about the whole thing. It was one of the most organised shoots I've been to. The rules were very strict on ranges and types of shots ( all body, no head).
    i would not advocate shotgun shooting as a main control method but as the OP stated, it can be a very efficient control method.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Ok, I'm going to be the first to stir the 2015 s**t

i would agree greed with this statement, I've shot quite a few roe with a shot gun and as said in the original post, it's a very effective control measure.
    Of course I would always reach for a rifle but the shot gun in the right hands and circumstances is a very efficient tool. I took part in a Roe Deer drive in Denmark years ago and was quite sceptical about the whole thing. It was one of the most organised shoots I've been to. The rules were very strict on ranges and types of shots ( all body, no head).
    i would not advocate shotgun shooting as a main control method but as the OP stated, it can be a very efficient control method.

#1s or #3s work better than larger shot. As said above, body shots only and 20mtrs max. But then we are not so enlightened as the more enlightened stalkers in little UK . All the dinosaurs are dead here. Larger shot from a shotgun put paid to them

I found this quite interesting and very measured:

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    P.S. I lied, I wasn't even in this country at that time but the power of google and the internet is a wonder to behold.
    I like that reply, a lot!
    Somebody replied to a post of mine recently, it was obvious his intimate knowledge came from a google search, copied and pasted, pretending it was his wide intimate knowledge of the subject, in my eyes he made himself look a right arse!

Shotguns, not the correct choice of weapon in any scenario, i have witnessed a guy use a shotgun and announce, 'damn i pricked that one' what did he think he was shooting a damned pheasant!

Cheers

Richard

Air rifles, rimfires, shotguns all perfectly legal in the Pikeys bible?

Shotgun..... Deer = Bad News !
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.