8 month old bitch incontinent

deerstalker.308

We have an 8 month old lab bitch we've had since she was 8 weeks old. She is house trained and crate trained, she lives in the house with us, and on three occasions in the last month or so I've noticed wet patches on the floor where she's been sleeping during the day while we have been with her, couldn't work out what was happening, but just now, she's been asleep on our foot stool and when she just got up she was soaked and dripping down one hind leg and was lying in a large wet patch or urine.
she isn't spayed, shes fit and healthy, so just wondering what the vets have to say on the matter? I'll be taking her to our vets tomorrow if I can get an appointment, but this can't be normal surely, all I will say is she can be a very deep sleeper, so perhaps she's just not waking up in time?

Female hormones do have a role in sphincter tone and it is one theory why spayed bitches can become incontinent.

There are a couple of 'plumbing' and funny anatomical reasons why a bitch might struggle to hold her urine - if this doesn't settle down then she needs a series of x-rays with contrast media.

The other simple option is a urinary tract infection.

See how she goes, if you are going along to the vet and can collect a urine sample that would be marvellous.

Let her come out of her first season and see what happens.

Female hormones do have a role in sphincter tone and it is one theory why spayed bitches can become incontinent.

There are a couple of 'plumbing' and funny anatomical reasons why a bitch might struggle to hold her urine - if this doesn't settle down then she needs a series of x-rays with contrast media.

The other simple option is a urinary tract infection.

See how she goes, if you are going along to the vet and can collect a urine sample that would be marvellous.

Let her come out of her first season and see what happens.

thanks Apache. Been to our vet this morning with a urine sample, some crystals present and slightly high levels of protein? (Apologies but I got the facts second hand from my wife so the protein bit might be Chinese whispers....) but not enough to cause alarm, they've put her on antibiotics for 7 days to see if it helps and we have an appointment for a weeks time complete with urine sample (the dog thought I was insane trying to collect that one!), they did seem quite baffled and suggested doing some blood tests and scans etc if it doesn't change.
Poor pup, she looked mortified when she woke up wet, thought she was in for a telling off bless her, needless to say, she was cuddled appropriately!

Back