New Year's Day dinner

downwind

For over 25yrs it's been a tradition in the downwind household to eat venison steak (roe) on New Years' Day. Today was no exception, Mrs downwind prepared steaks fit for a king (or queen) but informed me that they were the last in the freezer. Looks like I'll need to be re-stocking the freezer soon :lol:
Anyone else got NYD traditions?

Not specifically as to what we eat, but it's a tradition at Pedro Villas that it's a family sit down job. That used to be the good lady, three children and I. But the children have all got married and produced between them five grandchildren, soon to be six. Those, together with family dogs numbering four means that Pedro Villas is sadly lacking in space for that crowd.

The result is rotation. It has to be exactly fair, in that whoever cannot come on New Year's Day will have it on another day and be first in line for next year. To be honest the only time we can get together now is for an informal buffet. Until, of course, I win the lottery and am able to afford the dining accommodation needed. Only a matter of time. :)

Well we've had a real chill out day today ( everyone has gone home)

I've cleaned every rifle and even the shotguns today, went and took the dogs out for a marathon walk, sorted the ferrets, come back in for tea and I cooked up the leftovers all the marauders left behind over Christmas

muntjac and Rabbit liver pate on toast for starters moving swiftly on to potatoes cubes cooked in dry cured bacon fat, diced bacon crispy with chopped sausages, onions, cherry tomatoes with crispy bread, splash of garlic, a light sauce and ground pepper to finish

apart from the bread, potatoes and condiments ( wives out of earshot) rest all homemade and delicious, best food I've had this year.

and to top it all off wives made the tea and cleared up behind me,

happy new year

Today it was pheasant breast wrapped in bacon and stuffed with haggis, followed by a good old fashioned treacle dumpling with honey and dried fruit. Oh and washed down with a bottle of bubbly between two of us.

Blackpowder

Today it was pheasant breast wrapped in bacon and stuffed with haggis, followed by a good old fashioned treacle dumpling with honey and dried fruit. Oh and washed down with a bottle of bubbly between two of us.

Blackpowder
Mrs downwind has been tempted by your treacle dumplings-----any chance of the recipe please?

It's usually steak pie in our house,but this year she boiled a big gammon, in my job I can have venison when ever I feel like it so tend to avoid it at Christmas and New Year, besides the wife is not very keen on venison, think its a case of familiarity breeding contempt and all that.

That treacle dumpling has my mouth watering, but afraid that's a big no no these days as just to add to my list of ailments I have just discovered I am also diabetic.

Breakfast.... Mothers Pride lightly toasted with 1.35mm of Lurpak salted butter with four woodcock breasts and two farm eggs medium fried and four drips of green Tabasco.

Red dot, my favourite meal woodcock , cut a slice of wholemeal bread 1inch thick , put woodcock on top splash of olive oil sprinkling of salt, throw on oven to roast, remember not to gut.

Had a couple of good friends over last night for a meal.
Cooked pheasant breast wrapped in parma ham served on black pudding for starters, followed by fillet of Roe in a mushroom and sherry sauce for main.

Neither of them shoot so it was an opportunity to introduce them to game.

Hi Downwind this is what I used.
Greased a pudding basin, and poured about 2 tablespoons of runny honey in the bottom.

Mixed the following together in a large bowl:-
175 g plain flour
50g soft brown sugar
75g veggy suet
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1 large egg
1 dessert spoon treacle
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
good handfull of sultanas
some mixes peel.
Poured over the honey in the bowl
clipped on lid, if no lid available cover with grease proof paper
steamed for 2 1/2 hours
served with custard and a dollop of cream.

Enjoy

Blackpowder

Hi Downwind this is what I used.
Greased a pudding basin, and poured about 2 tablespoons of runny honey in the bottom.

Mixed the following together in a large bowl:-
175 g plain flour
50g soft brown sugar
75g veggy suet
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1 large egg
1 dessert spoon treacle
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
good handfull of sultanas
some mixes peel.
Poured over the honey in the bowl
clipped on lid, if no lid available cover with grease proof paper
steamed for 2 1/2 hours
served with custard and a dollop of cream.

Enjoy

Blackpowder
Thanks Blackpowder, this will be passed on to the catering dept.

we had roast fallow beef ,from west sussex ha ha lol.my son in law and the grandkids refuse to eat rabbit ,pigeon or venison so me n the daughter stitched them up.slow roast venison in a rich wine gravy and they cleared their plates stating how gorgeous the beef was.so 5 kids and 1 growed up now love venison but will never know:norty:

For over 25yrs it's been a tradition in the downwind household to eat venison steak (roe) on New Years' Day. Today was no exception, Mrs downwind prepared steaks fit for a king (or queen) but informed me that they were the last in the freezer. Looks like I'll need to be re-stocking the freezer soon :lol:
Anyone else got NYD traditions?
Job done:hind::D

Back