sauer thread size

gmorrice96

evening all,

I have what will no doubt be a silly question but after a bit of looking around here it is.

I bought a new sauer rifle and am unsure what the thread is on the muzzle. the barrel is 19mm diameter and the threaded part measures 17mm. being a sauer it will be a metric thread I know that much. but which thread is it? I first thought that it was m17 but looking at mods on the net there doesn't seem to be any so I am now wondering if its an m16? I am not sure if the size is taken from the peaks or troughs of the thread. I checked my calipers against a bullet head so know they are fine (I did wonder).

any help appreciated.

cheers

Greg

just had another look as I was surprised my to hear M14. I know M14 is the standard size, my friend has a Sauer 101 with M14 thread on it and this in my mind looks bigger (also its the "medium heavy" barrel. there is a small piece where the thread stops before if hits the shoulder of the barrel which measures 15mm so think it must be bigger than M14?

I might try my friends mod to check next time I see him.

greg

Hi. Thread size is taken from the major diameter of the threads so if you measured 17 over the outside of the thread it wont be M16. What is the thread pitch? It might be easier to measure over a few threads.

Hi. Thread size is taken from the major diameter of the threads so if you measured 17 over the outside of the thread it wont be M16. What is the thread pitch? It might be easier to measure over a few threads.

just measured and its a 1mm pitch. so it looks like m17x1 then with 1mm thread depth and a 15mm diameter in the troughs of the threads. not a good thread for getting a mod for by the look of it.

greg

Sounds like M17x1. Hope you get sorted out for a mod. I'm sure one of the smaller/custom manufacturers should be able to thread one for you if you cant find a standard one.

sure I will find something. I fancied a hardy gen 5 but they don't list M17. maybe another a-tec I guess

Back