Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss ballistic turrets, which ring to use ?

Question Zeiss ballistic turrets, which ring to use ?

I have recently purchased a new Zeiss 3-12x 56. Ht scope with ballistic turret. I have fitted it on a Sako 75 in .270. I am using Federal fusion 130 Gn ammo. Zeroed 1cm high at 100 metres. I have been on the Zeiss website and they suggest to use the pre marked ballistic ring 3. Has anyone else set up this scope on a 270 with similar ammo ? Any advice would be much appreciated. Nb Happy New year and good hunting for 2015.

Can't help with the ballistic turret info', sorry. But I zero my .270 1" high at 100 yards to give me zero holdover at 175 (according to the Exterior Ballistics app'I use)........that way I don't need to worry about holdover at any of the distances I typically shoot at. Sorry if that implies any egg-sucking, not intentional

No egg sucking at all Woodsmoke. I usually Zero my rifles 1" high at 100. You're spot on. Zeiss has this system that requires you zero 1cm high at 100. You then have these elevation rings pre marked that you can fit for various different ballistic trajectory for different ammo. Thanks for advice.

There is a program you can download from the Zeiss website. after imputing all the details, it will tell you exactly which one to use, how far away you need to zero your rifle with the particular ammunition and everything else you need to know!

Have used Zeiss website, unfortunately I couldn't find data listing for Federal Fussion ammo. Nearest comparable round advises use of ring 3, just interested to see if anyone has experience of this system with this particular ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggy View Post
    Zeiss has this system that requires you zero 1cm high at 100. You then have these elevation rings pre marked that you can fit for various different ballistic trajectory for different ammo
    Ah.........far too advanced for me

Must admit beginning to think it may be too much hassle for me. May just revert back to good old holdover. Has worked for 20 years !!!

Sounds as though you should follow Zeiss' advice,fit #3 ring and see how it performs in the field or even better on a range. Think you'll find it works out pretty well.

As with any kind of 'dialling in', no matter what the best software etc says, you need to back up/adjust the data in the field to suit YOUR rifle/ammo combo. So, I'd go with the recommended ring, and go test it.

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Mine for example said I should zero at 109 meters, use strip number 3. Well, that is what I did (for my Federal 150 grain soft point) and lo and behold it shoots very, very accurately.