Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget binos?

Budget binos?

Hey all,

I was desperately hoping that Santa would bring me a nice shiny set of geovids...needless to say that he has let me down stinking & Rudolph better watch out next year!

I've been researching budget binos with good reviews until I've enough pennies stashed away to get some.

I am after some experienced opinions?

sportsman have both bv8x42 minox & 8x42 vortex diamondbacks for less than 130

are these binos really punching above their weights as reviews would have us believe?

does anyone have experience with them? Which is the better glass?

thanks & happy new year!

Anybody done this comparison first hand? I would be interested in opinions too.
    ATB
    Tarvie

My eyes prefer the Minox and the only pair of Vortex I looked at milked at the edges slightly.

In fairness, one pair is hardly a thorough sampling though...

Got an old pair of Zeiss from an Oxfam shop for 20 last year - gorgeous to look through

Vanguard Platinums are another good buy for not much money.

I would highly recommend the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42...I opted for them after reading every review could find, figuring that they could always become spares when I can afford a better pair. The reviews weren't kidding. I have looked through some top-end binos, and these are fantastic glass at any price, let alone the fact that they are available on amazon for 215! Great build quality, bright and crisp image, and fantastic light gathering...I'm over the moon with them.

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8420 8x42 Binoculars: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Established Poster
    I have these in 8.5x45, very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guycep View Post
    I would highly recommend the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42...I opted for them after reading every review could find, figuring that they could always become spares when I can afford a better pair. The reviews weren't kidding. I have looked through some top-end binos, and these are fantastic glass at any price, let alone the fact that they are available on amazon for 215! Great build quality, bright and crisp image, and fantastic light gathering...I'm over the moon with them.

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8420 8x42 Binoculars: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have Bushnell H2O 8x42 can't fault them for the money had them for 5 years all weathers.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by TheCornishman View Post
    Hey all,

I was desperately hoping that Santa would bring me a nice shiny set of geovids...needless to say that he has let me down stinking & Rudolph better watch out next year!

I've been researching budget binos with good reviews until I've enough pennies stashed away to get some.

I am after some experienced opinions?

sportsman have both bv8x42 minox & 8x42 vortex diamondbacks for less than 130

are these binos really punching above their weights as reviews would have us believe?

does anyone have experience with them? Which is the better glass?

thanks & happy new year!
    I went to look at the Minox & Vortex at Sportsman yesterday and came away with the Minox BV 8x42 BR for 118.99 after looking through them and on recommendation of the salesperson. These have a 30yr guarantee so are likely to see me out.

I've been testing them out this afternoon in the garden in all the doom and gloom and comparing them to my Hawke 8x42's and I must say I am very impressed, the clarity and colours are just so good.
    I tested them both short and long range and great performance. Short range (not really for what Bino's are for) was great, I was just looking a pepper plant 8ft away in the conservatory and the richness to the colour of the peppers (some red, some orange and purple) compared to the hawkes was amazing, so sharp whereas the Hawkes were pretty washed out, it was just as good long range looking at mountain ash berries and a crab apple tree in a neighbours garden, the view was so clear and sharp.

Very good decision Primer, you won't regret it.
    Cheers
    Richard

The biggest drop in price while staying in quality glass is to go porro prism instead of roof prism binoculars, but they are larger and heavier.

Thanks chaps that's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. I have a pair of Swaro 8.5x42 ELs but was looking for a top value budget bino- there is so much competition out there it is hard to sort the wheat from the chaff especially if you cant get into a shop to compare them.
    Regards to all especially The Cornishman for starting the thread!
    Regards,
    Tarvie