Posting rifle

Greener Jim

Quick one. In the past when I've bought a rifle from a distant RFD ive had it sent to my local RFD, which I believe is the law.

But it what if the rifle is already on me license? If I'm sending my rifle to a gunsmith does it have to go from my RFD and come back to my RFD when done?

I'm 99% sure it has to go through my RFD. Just checking as the transfer fee always annoys me ;)

Last edited:
Quick one. In the past when I've bought a rifle from a distant RFD ive had it sent to my local RFD, which I believe is the law.

But it what if the rifle is already on me license? If I'm sending my rifle to a gunsmith does it have to go from my RFD and come back to my RFD when done?

I'm 99% sure it has to go through my RFD. Just checking as the transfer fee always annoys me ;)

The RFD you are sending the rifle to can arrange for a courier, such as TNT, to collect your rifle ..... however it has to go back to you via a local RFD.

Tony

See that's what I thought but both of my local rfd' said that it wasn't required as I wasn't selling/buying.

I can just get it sent via a courier and receive via a courier as its already 'mine' on paper and in law

I was also told this just recently and had a moderator sent direct to me as it was already on my fac
this from a well known and leading supplier/rfd

i know you can legally ship a firearm direct FROM you to someone else using an appropriate courier
however I was not aware of the pre owned direct to shipping

my question is how do they prove identify and ownership at the receiving end as I am sure the couriers won't take responsibility

I pondered this aswell Bewsher. I'm guessing they ask for proof of ID/FAC just as they would for any sensitive item.
The courier has already taken responsibility I would imagine as its an unlicensed individual carrying a licensed item

I pondered this aswell Bewsher. I'm guessing they ask for proof of ID/FAC just as they would for any sensitive item.
The courier has already taken responsibility I would imagine as its an unlicensed individual carrying a licensed item
The courier can collect the rifle from your home address, but this has to be arranged by the RFD you are sending it to. The rifle must then be returned to another RFD local to you for you to collect. It doesn't matter whether you own it beforehand or not. You still have to take possession of the rifle face to face from an RFD.
I have done this on a number of occasions and it's always been done the same way.

The courier can collect the rifle from your home address, but this has to be arranged by the RFD you are sending it to. The rifle must then be returned to another RFD local to you for you to collect. It doesn't matter whether you own it beforehand or not. You still have to take possession of the rifle face to face from an RFD.
I have done this on a number of occasions and it's always been done the same way.

Nope
I can send a rifle direct to an RFD without them organising it
it makes financial sense to get them to do it as the prof membership they may have gets a discounted rate from TNT and the like but there is no legal requirement for them to book it.

The contention here is that actually you can receive a firearm (or component) direct
I just received a moderator direct from the importer as it was already one I owned and was listed on my FAC. no RFD required to receive.

He assured me that this was perfectly fine and as this is their main line of business I am sure he wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't squared away

my question is what is the difference between mods and rifles as the law sees them the same way

Back