Thread: Help with pressure cooker please.

Help with pressure cooker please.

Hello Folks.
    I have my first pressure cooker. I have never been in the same room as one in operation.
    I have the Tefal secure 5,which is the six litre stainless jobbie.
    My concern is that the operating valve that determines levels 1&2 plus pressure release seems to vent all the time even on the minimum burner flame. This is on the test run with only water in the pot.
    The book says turn down the heat and start timing at this stage. Book do's not say that continuous venting is normal,but perhaps it is.
    I tried Tefal on the phone at 4.30 pm but the helpline is closed till monday.
    Any help would be much appreciated,thanks.

Bryan.

Try it with some spuds in and see if it is any different.

Maybe use a smaller burner ring on your cooker, turned down very low.

I don't have your model but less heat seems to be the key here.

Just going to check with the other half but I think venting is normal as it is releasing pressure before your house goes up.
    Edited to add .. She says turn it down when it starts letting out steam.
    Last edited by basil; 02-01-2015 at 21:49.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

It is a long time since I used a pressure cooker but if I remember rightly the valve vents all the time and you need to build up pressure to stop it venting and to move into the pressure control mode, so when you start it vents but when the pressure builds sufficiently it will close the vent and then hold pressure until you exceed the safe pressure when it will vent from the pressure relief valve. I do not know if that makes sense but I suggest that you stick a pint of boiling water into it and then stick it on the stove turned up high, you will find that it vents from the bottom of the valve and then, as the pressure builds, the valve will lift until no steam comes out, then when the pressure reaches the pre set it will start venting from the top of the valve and you can turn the stove down to maintain a steady release.
    Basically, wind the stove up until it stops venting and then wind it down to maintain a steady release of steam from the pressure relief valve.

I hope that this makes sense.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Hello Folks.
    I have my first pressure cooker. I have never been in the same room as one in operation.
    I have the Tefal secure 5,which is the six litre stainless jobbie.
    My concern is that the operating valve that determines levels 1&2 plus pressure release seems to vent all the time even on the minimum burner flame. This is on the test run with only water in the pot.
    The book says turn down the heat and start timing at this stage. Book do's not say that continuous venting is normal,but perhaps it is.
    I tried Tefal on the phone at 4.30 pm but the helpline is closed till monday.
    Any help would be much appreciated,thanks.

Bryan.

Thanks Guys.
    I turned it down as far as the small burner would go and it still vented.
    It may be as Martin said though,that I need to pump the heat up more to set the valve first.
    I will give it another go tomorrow.

ATB Bryan.

SD Regular
    Pressure cookers? Gosh, I though they went out with the Ark! My experiences are two sorts. Don't know if it helps. The cheap and cheerful where you get it steaming away then flip a small lever to close off the steam.

And the deluxe Prestige where you have a set of weights with a pointed end (looks like a builders plumbob) that when it gets steaming away you place directly over the hole the steam is coming out of. These used to "spit" and hiss.

I am assuming that you have closed shut ant secondary rubber safety escape orifice and that the lid is properly sealed. The problem is usuallu, as others say, that you have only a simmer and not yet enough of a head of steam up. Still some air trapped inside.

Our old pressure cooker used to have a little weight that went on the top of the cooker and as the pressure built a button that came out of it, looked like a tyre pressure gauge and you just adjusted the gas until the gauge stayed at the required pressure.
    Don't really need them now as you just spin your pan lid when it starts to rattle with the pressure and turn the gas right down to a simmer. The pan then acts like a little pressure cooker with the pan lid rotating freely on the steam.

Going back to the pressure cooker, I had a friend up North who used his like a still. A short length of flexible pipe was jubilee clipped to the pressure relief valve and micro bore copper pipe attached to the other end and coiled down to the sink, passing under the cold water tap. His mother used to make wine which he said would be more suited to putting on fish and chips but he learned that if he put it in the pressure cooker it would come out very clear and very strong.

Certainly not my cup of tea and I always expected to learn that he had gone blind from drinking this alcohol