Thread: Burger size and ingredients - preparation and amounts

Burger size and ingredients - preparation and amounts

Hi guys

Burgers, having mastered the sausage making and now got to the stage that I actually have my family and friends asking for more sausages I guess I've hit the big time on them

anyone got a decent recipe for burgers using half venison and something else

the important bit is, the mix, size and preparation is where I have failed previously

my previous attempts have been a moderate success at best as they have fallen to bits if made by hand, like paving slabs using a burger press. Pah. It's just goes on and on, desperate measures required 😢

don't need your secret family recipe

just the mechanics on how to make a nice thick juicy burger, that will take caramelised onions and cheese on top in a bap and remain delicious, without falling to bits and or require a bolster to cut it.

any ideas on mince size, ingredients and mix etc

I've tried mixing egg white with it, egg yolk with it, cooked onions, raw onions, seasoning blah blah blah the list is endless

Thank you in advance

Phil

I use the "venison and juniper" burger mix from Scobies direct VENISON & JUNIPER BURGER MIX 1KG PACK from Scobies Direct and I can't make enough of them, everyone who buys them comes back for more. You mix the 1kg pack with 8 kg of venison and 0.5kg of pork belly.

Sizing wise I press them in a simple plastic quarter pounder press from Lake land plastics http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10481/Quar...r-Burger-Press.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by PointBlank; 03-01-2015 at 07:57.

Try this one, and as Pointblank said, use a plastic press for the sizing. Also use the wax paper supplied so you can stack them a few high without sticking:

• 1200g venison mince
    • 400g pork mince
    • 2 large onions, finely diced
    • 2 carrots, grated
    • 2tbs olive oil
    • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and pureed
    • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
    • 2tbs whole grain mustard
    • 2tbs freshly grated horseradish
    • 2 whole free range egg
    • 100g fresh breadcrumbs (preferably sourdough)

Heat a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and sauté the diced onion and grated carrot with seasoning until soft. Leave to cool completely and add the roasted mashed garlic.
    Measure all the ingredients including the cooked onion mixture into the bowl of a mixer, attach a dough hook and kneed the meat until all the ingredients are well mixed.
    Test a small amount in a hot pan and taste, adjust the seasoning if needed.
    Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
    Cook the burgers 5 - 6 minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, alternatively brown the burger in a hot pan and transfer it to a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks PointBlank and happy new year by the way

just been on the Scobies site

Looking at the recipe they have on the site I see they put the meat back through the mincer again after adding the extras, I think that is where I went wrong with the last ones. Mix was too coarse and not binding together.

when I started out on sausages 😥 the first ones were like skinny nails that you could have driven into concrete, the reason being was too much venison, not enough pork and none or too little bulker and I put them through the fine mincer once or twice more than was enough, anyway I got over that 👀. and sausages now are brilliant, I can see where I have been going wrong with the burgers, I have a Muntjac here in the chiller that will be just right on weight for the recipe going to get the mix from Scobies and get at it again, and see how it transpires 😃

thanks again

regards

phil

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Try this one, and as Pointblank said, use a plastic press for the sizing. Also use the wax paper supplied so you can stack them a few high without sticking:

• 1200g venison mince
    • 400g pork mince
    • 2 large onions, finely diced
    • 2 carrots, grated
    • 2tbs olive oil
    • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and pureed
    • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
    • 2tbs whole grain mustard
    • 2tbs freshly grated horseradish
    • 2 whole free range egg
    • 100g fresh breadcrumbs (preferably sourdough)

Heat a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and sauté the diced onion and grated carrot with seasoning until soft. Leave to cool completely and add the roasted mashed garlic.
    Measure all the ingredients including the cooked onion mixture into the bowl of a mixer, attach a dough hook and kneed the meat until all the ingredients are well mixed.
    Test a small amount in a hot pan and taste, adjust the seasoning if needed.
    Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
    Cook the burgers 5 - 6 minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, alternatively brown the burger in a hot pan and transfer it to a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes.
    Thanks IF
    Have printed it off, will have a go at that one, sounds delicious, even I will be able follow the instructions, her indoors will be impressed 😎

cheers

phil

Hi Phil

Forgot to mention that I use pork belly to mince as it's nice and fatty. I mince the venison and pork belly separately, then mix together and run it all through again. It gives a really even spread and keeps the mixture bound nicely. My kids get chippy when we run out of these in the summer :-)

Enjoy!
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I use two scoops from a mash tottie/ Ice cream scoope.That gives me close to a 1/4 pouinder. I use scoobies mix but the Juniper has warn off.

I mince the meat twice,once through the coarse, then through the fine, a little good beef fat, (not dripping), the smallest amounts of fine ground pepper along with a hint of Star Anise (very careful with this ingredient), I found the thicker the burger the more chance of a bit of breakup, hand pressed by Mrs Finnbear, have to avoid the many requests for them now!!!!! ... everything bar the loins from Roe, go in.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Cheers Guys

going to have a good go on some burgers coming week, will let you know how it goes

cheers to all

phil