Stuck Mod.

Norrie1956

Hiya, Righty, before I start, this is NOT about me, my gun or my mod...:)

My mate has a Ruger M77 in 243, he recently had it threaded, and put a T8 on it, after about 15 rounds, he tried to take the mod off...it's bleedin solid, so he brought the gun along tonight, to see if mibbes two of us together could get it off the gun, wrapped it in tape to save marking the mod, and tried Stillsons on it, solid as a solid thing!!!!

I'm wondering if the mod is a different thread....if it is, surely it should'nt be that tight, should it??? Or is it a trip to the gunsmith??

Any thoughts gratefully received...

:)

Hi Norrie. Hope you had a fine Hogmanay.
Mid your pal only tightened it by hand,it's hard to understand what could have happened to cause it to unshiftable with Stilsons. If it was a different thread pattern he surely would have noticed that.
Theres surely something you could spray on to loosed it,or if not apply some gentle heat and bring out the Stilsons again. Pleased it's not your rifle mate.

Fire three or four shots rapidly then get the stilsons on it quickly this hasworked in the past on two rifles both with reflex mods on

He'd this happen a few times. But that was after a lot more than 15 rounds and with a 338 soak the whole area in we'd 40 and rap in rags. Then hold rifle in a clamp vice (well padded) the MOD should then twist of it just needs time for the oil to loosen the carbon unless the threading has been done very poorly. Confirm with your mate round count and how quickly they were fired in succession.

If the mod was threaded on by hand easily, it's unlikely to be an incompatible or reversed thread, more likely the relief cut / shoulder is not correct, & as daft as it sounds ....... are you turning the stillson's the correct way?

Norrie,

Fire a few shots rapid, then try and un screw it! the heat will expand the metal on the mod! Tell your mate to lay off the spinach in future!! sounds like hes put it on to tight to begin with! if that doesnt work, try soaking it with release oil, red diesel is a good release agent! wouldnt advise using stilsions on a reflex either! use a filter strap that wont crush the Mod!

Cheers

Hi Guys, thanks for the great info, we'll be getting into it this evening when he gets back from a day on the hill....Actually, I hadnt thought about it being reverse threaded....I could have been tightening it instead of loosening it!!!! Will also get WD40 into it, and got plenty red kicking about too.

I'll report back...

Thanks again, and Happy New Year to you all..:)

If you still can't get the thing moving, remove the action from the stock, remove bolt and scope. Put what you have left in the freezer for a few hours or over night.
Get a pan on the cooker big enough to fully submerge the mod, full with water and get a good boil going.
Remove the frozen lump from the freezer and submerge only the mod in the water for a few seconds, try to unscrew.
This should work, give it a few try's if you want, if not it looks like a hacksaw and a new mod.

Good luck.

Before you start fannying about with oils, heat or stripping the damn thing...............Take a piece of strong cord; double it, then turn the looped end over into a 'P'. Place the mod into the open section of the 'P' & wrap the loose ends of the cord around anything that will serve as a lever (wooden spoon, for example) Snug it up against the mod' & give it some welly whilst holding the rifle butt between your feet to stop it spinning. The cord will act as a strap wrench without damaging the mod or barrel

If you still can't get the thing moving, remove the action from the stock, remove bolt and scope. Put what you have left in the freezer for a few hours or over night.
Get a pan on the cooker big enough to fully submerge the mod, full with water and get a good boil going.
Remove the frozen lump from the freezer and submerge only the mod in the water for a few seconds, try to unscrew.
This should work, give it a few try's if you want, if not it looks like a hacksaw and a new mod.

Good luck.

I agree that heat differential should work just fine. Before stripping the rifle and freezing though just try a kettle full of hot water poured over the barrel end of the mod, and only the mod, it could well be enough.

Alan

I suppose I should have asked this first, but what are the barrel and mod made out of? If there both stainless and haven't been copper slipped before assembly they could have picked up in which case they will never come apart.

Silly question but have you tried tightening it. Threads can lock. Tightening it quite often breaks the bond. Lorry wheel nuts are prone to locking. This is the way we got them to start.

Back