Plastic inserts for knife sheaths?

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
With the discussions in the knife thread with regard to knife hygiene it occurred to me that there must be a market for plastic inserts for knife sheaths, as in something slim and fitted to a 'generic' blade profile that one could put inside a leather sheath (or get a leather sheath made to fit over). I've never seen such a thing though? Do they exist?

The closest thing I've seen is David Stretton's stainless insert for his bone saw.

Alex

All my knives with leather sheath's have the inserts Alex, I bought them that way and always thought "that" was normal but obviously not.

Hi Rangefinder,

Not in my (admittedly limited) experience, no. :confused: What knives do you have?

Alex

Hi Alex

My main knife - Helle and my spare Buck both have removeable plastic inserts..

I too thought this was the norm

ATB

Terry

Hi Alex

My main knife - Helle and my spare Buck both have removeable plastic inserts..

I too thought this was the norm

ATB

Terry

Damn. Ok, let me re-phrase the question.... where do I find plastic inserts for my multitude of disposable (loseable) Frosts? :D

They come with horrible, impractical plastic sheaths but I much prefer to use one of Ash's excellent leather sheaths. A plastic insert would make the combination perfect from my point of view.

Alex

When i started to do the frost knives i got some liners from attborough and the are not a good positive fit with the blade you end up with a top heavy sheath i did do a bushcraft type of sheath with them but they become impracticable as you cant remove them from the sheath i don't have a problem with any of my leather sheaths because i carry some probe wipes with me and just wipe the blade before i place it back in the sheath. as i would wipe off or wash the knife before moving on to the second or next carcass anyway. i would sooner have the knowledge that my knife is at my side safe and secure in a good sheath rather than in the past back track across the Vally because you have dropped the clipper and it is the only knife with you a mistake i will not repeat.

as a foot note to this i have just started to cover the inside with two coats of a liquid resin to stop moisture blood etc penetrating the leather

Last edited:
Kydex sheet allows you to make moulded inserts to suit individual blade and handle shapes and sizes.

i don't need to as i said i now have a resin treatment for the inside of the sheath and the kydex is so expensive and the and you need all the rivets and other stuff to join or heat weld to do with it i make leather stuff not plastic sorry

as a foot note to this i have just started to cover the inside with two coats of a liquid resin to stop moisture blood etc penetrating the leather

How does that work? Do you make the sheath and then pour the resin in and swill it around the inside of the sheath or do you coat the inside of the leather before you sew up the seam?

The guy who makes my sheaths does something call "wet blocking" to ensure the leather moulds to the right shape. Well I think its called that. Does you new resin method still allow for that to be done?

Back