Deer trays

jimbo123p

Seen these on ebay and wondered.Works out cheaper than B&Q and look a lot stronger,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Extra-Large...ZUK_Storage?hash=item414abba11a#ht_2233wt_939
80.jpg

I thought the same thing when we moved offices! However, they usually have holes in the bottom! :(

Alex

Plasterers bath from Travis Perkins got mine in the last year for just over £20 will fit three Sika in easy.

RF

The problem with preformed pond liners is their irregular shape. It seems no one wants a square pond these days.

The big problem with plasterers baths is they don't fit in your average saloon car boot, or the back of a lot of estates. Another problem with baths is if you leave it in or on the truck, getting the beast up and into it can be a right palaver, due to its high sides and rigidity, if you take it off the truck to aid placing the carcase in you then have to get the bath plus carcase back on the truck. Not the easiest of jobs single handed especially when dealing with the bigger species of deer.

With all carcase trays you should also consider placing some form of plastic divider in the base to ensure the carcase is not laying in any blood run off.

I use large horticultural planting trays. They will take fallow, sika, and red hinds without any problem. The sides are not to high and they are easily transported and stackable, so you can take more then one with you , which means you don't have to pile carcases in on top of one anther, which aids cooling and the avoidance of cross contamination.

There is always these for about £40

10125%20pic2.JPG

Stackable, and anything inside is concealed from the outside world . The same firm also some the bottom divider meshes.

Last edited:
I use a trawler fish box that cost me nothing I found it washed up on the sea shore it had holes in each corner for drainage but those were soon plugged with 4 stainless bolts and washers bedded in silicone then cut off underneath works a treat and very ridged .I can if needed to, get 4 roe in it

Similar to those Jim posted up and on Ebay at the moment
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Extra-Large...ZUK_Storage?hash=item414abba11a#ht_2233wt_939
we have all seen them stacked up on landing piers

Last edited:
The problem with preformed pond liners is their irregular shape. It seems no one wants a square pond these days.

The big problem with plasterers baths is they don't fit in your average saloon car boot, or the back of a lot of estates. Another problem with baths is if you leave it in or on the truck, getting the beast up and into it can be a right palaver, due to its high sides and rigidity, if you take it off the truck to aid placing the carcase in you then have to get the bath plus carcase back on the truck. Not the easiest of jobs single handed especially when dealing with the bigger species of deer.

With all carcase trays you should also consider placing some form of plastic divider in the base to ensure the carcase is not laying in any blood run off.

I use large horticultural planting trays. They will take fallow, sika, and red hinds without any problem. The sides are not to high and they are easily transported and stackable, so you can take more then one with you , which means you don't have to pile carcases in on top of one anther, which aids cooling and the avoidance of cross contamination.

My Laguna is rectangle, I have 2 drainage trays in the base to keep the beasts out of any blood from seepage. If you have a car or van loading it on your own is simples! place carcass tray on the floor, put the beast or beasts in it, lift up the end and rest on the boot or tail gate, pick up other end and slide in.

I have had 5 Fallow in it with no problems!

Last edited:
I use a trawler fish box that cost me nothing I found it washed up on the sea shore it had holes in each corner for drainage but those were soon plugged with 4 stainless bolts and washers bedded in silicone then cut off underneath works a treat and very ridged .I can if needed to, get 4 roe in it

Similar to those Jim posted up and on Ebay at the moment
we have all seen them stacked up on landing piers
You must have some pretty small roe up in Yorkshire,the boxes are indeed large fish boxes or as we call them 7stone boxes as thats about the weight of fish that they'll hold i cant imagine how to fit 4 in there my mind boggles,i rekon i'd struggle to get 4 in one of my 220L insulated ice bins that hold about 25stone.:eek:

After dragging out my best buck a couple of years ago and only getting it about 250m in about 2.5 hours, I thought I was going to die. I rummaged thru my treasures at home and found a torpedo sled from my kids. I have bored 4 holes on each side to lace the carcase and use mule tape(for hauling fiber optic cables thru pipes, very strong). It holds one deer at a time, I keep a tarp with sled in my Outback. I get the sled after I have field-dressed the deer and drag it out of the woods. Be sure to get the head and legs laced in well or they hang up on every sapling and stump. Works best on snow or frost but even slides well on dry ground. I looked at fishtubs and mason tubs, but they don't drag well. I hope this helps someone, and pretty thrifty,100_0164.jpg being of Scotch descent.

Possibly not for those of a thrifty nature but ideal for those who would avoid the "buy cheap, buy twice" approach. The Wildwood Supplies Drag Tray has to be the Rolls Royce of the product range and should last a life time. See here .

View attachment 338

Last edited:
If you want a drag tray why not screw a couple or three hard wood runners on a Plasterers bath and a wooden slat at the front where the rope handles go through to stiffen the pulling bit!!

must admit that wildwood one looks the dogs and would probably last a lifetime but at that price for a bit of plastic,someone is having a laugh.A plasterers bath can be sold for £30 with probably a 100% mark up for builders merchant.I know it is supply and demand but surely there is a good market on sites like this if some plastic firm was in the know.Might be wrong though.Just seems when anything is labelled as a shooting or fishing accessory seems to treble its price

The ultimate in drag sledges are made and soled by Nicol Slee from Garelochhead , Scotland currently used by the Forestry Commission for dragging behind a Quad Ive seen these being used there isn't much better on the market for dragging .

They come with a ridged tow hitch that follows the Quad without bouncing all over the place, steel runners on the base they also pass all the health and hygiene regulation's

The price is about £398.00

If your using a Quad this is a must, save all the over loading of the racks keeping the weight off the quad and on the sledge .

Try Ace equipment for a tray that will double as a sledge.

Its the one fitted to the larger of the garden centre trolleys, I have had mine for about 10 years now.

If you ring them up and ask them for one without drainage holes, they will guess you are a deer stalker ;) they were aroung £40 last year.

It is tough and will not break if dropped and can be used as a sledge, as Deerman can testify from when we used it to extract his red stag.

It does not have the high sides like the goldfish ponds or plasterers baths although this can be an advantage when loading large deer as you can roll them into it.

Back