Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would I stand ??

Where would I stand ??

Hi guys. As per usual I am preparing for my Sunday morning stalking , and the wife pipes up that I am too damn noisy getting the gun out the cabinet in the wee small hrs. And asked if I couldn't take it out the night before. ??

whats the legal standing on having the rifle next to the bed in preparation of going stalking in the morning ?

Lots of people do it, but if anything should happens you will be in deep ****, legally it's a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    Hi guys. As per usual I am preparing for my Sunday morning stalking , and the wife pipes up that I am too damn noisy getting the gun out the cabinet in the wee small hrs. And asked if I couldn't take it out the night before. ??

whats the legal standing on having the rifle next to the bed in preparation of going stalking in the morning ?
    I remember this case only too well.

Sleeping gamekeeper fined over guns on table | Raptor Persecution Scotland
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

as has just been stated in another thread you are obliged to keep them secure from unautherised persons at all times
    I would suggest you oil the cabinate locks and doors apoligise to the wife in advance.
    sorry but you could land yourself in the pooo otherwise. a keeper is said to have lost his FC after falling asleep while his guns were still on the kitchen table.

Looks like she's just gonna need to live with it. !!!

I think its more of a grey area. Legally you have not signed a contract to say your rifle will be in the cabinet until the moment you are walking out of the door. More along the lines of the rifle will be kept secure at all times. You could say that the cabinet was there and that was the most secure place for it but there are other ways to secure your rifle that would not be as disrupting to your families morning. If something were to go wrong you would be arguing whether your arrangement was justified. I would not like to be the one to test it.

Buy her a pair of ear plugs !!

I have another approved cabinet downstairs so the noise from opening it in the early hours is not a problem, I only keep my most used rifle/s in this one this cabinet is small and discrete.

presumably having the rifle out and securely locked to the bed with a plastic coated steel wire cycle lock (so its quiet when you unlock as you roll out of bed in the morning) is fine Alternatively why not securely lock it into a locked car overnight in your garage (also locked) with the bolt and ammo in your coat pocket indoors Seems fine to me as taking reasonable precaution ??

D

Just bin her and do as you please.