Thread: Wet gun - What to do about this?

Wet gun - What to do about this?

I've just got in from a thoroughly wet day's shooting, albeit in fine company, and having set to at once to dry and clean my guns I immediately saw I had something of a problem...

Attachment 50998Attachment 50999Attachment 51000

The water has clearly got behind and so into the plug, but is it best to coax it back in while it's still damp? (and if so, how?), or to wait for it to dry (though presumably then the warping will have set)?

Can any of you gentlemen advise as to the best remedy?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

SD Regular
    How old is your gun? If its is 1950s or earlier than the wood will have been properly seasoned and dried. Damp it might be now aftre you day but IF YOU DRY IT SLOWLY that wood isn't going to mover anywhere.

Problem is UK Gun Law now means that you have got to "house sit" whilst the thing is out of your cabinet drying out. There is no quick fix although some might suggest put it in tray an cover it with kitty litter to at least suck out any near the surface moisture.

Best thing is just leave it a warm dry room. Not near the fire or on top of the radiator!!! You want warm dry air but not to actually get the wood warm. Just the air warm so that it dries the water as it naturally evaporates.

The only concern that I would have is that if you coax the plug back in it may split the stock. The plug has moved back because it has expanded or the stock has expanded. At least by moving back it has relieved the radial pressure on the surrounding stock.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 03-01-2015 at 18:50.

ES,

thanks for your prompt advice.

The gun is an AyA #4 Deluxe from 1976, but the stock was shortened when I acquired the gun 15 years ago.

I don't think the stock itself is particularly wet, but the thin wood of the plug has evidently absorbed water and swollen.

Fortunately, I don't have to go out for the next 18 hours or so, so I can let the gun dry as you suggest before it has to go back in the cabinet.
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.

Had the same problem today, my gun was dripping however as its a synthetic I chucked straight onto the radiator for an hour �� they can take the piss out of my plastic sporter but in this weather it's easier than a B'ham made SxS

SD Regular
    The gun is an AyA #4 Deluxe from 1976
    AYA so it is a good quality gun, with properly sorted materiels, from a traditional and reliable maker. I doubt that you will have any problem with the stock. That it has a plug suggests that the stock has been drilled to lighten it and balance the gun. Or get it below a certain weight. At a future time it may, possibly, be worth having it looked at...the plug job...by someone like the gunmaker and stocker Malcolm Cruxton. Price Street in Birmingham is where you'll find him.

Cup ful of rice in a food bag, food bag over end of stock & rubber band over food bag to keep it in place - no need to force dry (in fact avoid) - back in cabinet and check every day until it's dried out....

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Cup ful of rice in a food bag, food bag over end of stock & rubber band over food bag to keep it in place - no need to force dry (in fact avoid) - back in cabinet and check every day until it's dried out....
    Bang.

Thanks for the recommendation ES.

The gun came from George Bate's in Weaman Street, who also took care of the fitting (involving the removal of a previous extension). I wonder if they went to Mr. Cruxton for the job, which was almost certainly done at Price Street.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    AYA so it is a good quality gun, with properly sorted materials, from a traditional and reliable maker. I doubt that you will have any problem with the stock. That it has a plug suggests that the stock has been drilled to lighten it and balance the gun. Or get it below a certain weight. At a future time it may, possibly, be worth having it looked at...the plug job...by someone like the gunmaker and stocker Malcolm Cruxton. Price Street in Birmingham is where you'll find him.
    I didn't mention it earlier, but the gun also suffered a broken firing pin -on the first drive of the day!- so it will have to visit a gunmaker promptly anyway.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 04-01-2015 at 08:13.

SD Regular
    Maybe. I think that, by that time, Brendan Kelly had long retired. Malcolm Cruxton isn't the only person there that does stocking, that's sure, but it is a good odds bet that he may have done it. He'll certainly be able to sort the firing pin out that's sure.