Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best In Show

Best In Show

For all the years I have had Vizslas I have wanted one to win. Now its done I will worry about them going to unsuitable owners. You cant have it all can you.

John.
    Last edited by vizslamad; 14-03-2010 at 21:14. Reason: Smelling pisstake

Congrats on the win and give the dog a treat for me as after all he/she won>

My old stalking mentor suggested that I get a Vizsla however I don't know the first thing about working dog training and the price sort of sat me back on me rump when I enquired .

Then came a phone call would I take this Staffie on so I drove down to visit and take a look at him and well he came home with me and that was some 10 years ago. Just over three years ago we took on another that wanted a home to keep him company and help keep him fitter as now we live in the country there is no where to walk the dog .

The other is a X breed supposedly a Staffie X Boxer but he's too big so there is Mastiff in there somewhere. And to top it all 6 weeks ago we got asked to look after a couple of dogs for a month, welll it looks like there are staying so we now have two virtually untrained dogs to add to the mix. A Lab X who appear to be brain dead and has a one track mind which is either on food of chasing Birds. The last one is a real Heinz 57 but would appear to have Saluki in there as my god does it run like lightening.

She is at least a bit quicker on the uptake and can be let off the lead in the garden and on our field unlike the lab X who just gets the scent of something and his ears switch off and he's off over the plough next door

Hi,
    I think if Vizslas or HWV's were going to get treally popular they would have done do a couple of years ago when that little girl and her HWV won the best compnaion dog competition at Crufts. I was enough to bring a tear to the eye of even the hardest bloke as this HWV doted on this little disabled girl.

My own HWV is 7 months old this month. All I want to know is when will she turn a corner and this silly puppy stage go. I am used to spaniels and they grow up and settle down so much faster than she is doing.

Ian

4 Years old and they tend to be a little more sensible and I mean a little.
    Just enjoy your dog, they are natural born clowns which is one reasonI like them so much. Get tough with a Vizsla and it wont do a thing for you have fun with it and it will repay your kindness over a million times. Dont get them to tidy the house they will just eat it.
    John.

Hi,
    cheers, I can see the softness in her and as such I have been very hands off compared to a Spaniel or a Malinois. However I am am little concerned at how she will react on a moor even though she has a good recall etc.

I may even use an e-collar with her on a very, very mild tingle to reinforce any commands and to take away any conflict with me so that I am the good guy and I can make this little tingle stop for her.

Ian

Hi Ian,
    Just take it easy with the wide open spaces and remember that this is the environment they were designed for. A Vizsla will range far and wide or work almost close! when required. Get her turning on the whistle and use your hand signals although you sometimes need longer than average arms. I can remember our first pup when he was taken out onto 200 acres of stubble, he had not seen space like that before and boy did he go. It sounds like you will be using the e collar in a sensible way and I have used one on my little bitch very sparingly and they certainly do not seem to build any link up between you and the effect but she seems a bit young for that. If you do use it keep a close check on her neck as our dog developed a reaction even though the thing was only on for short periods of time. Have fun.
    John.

Hi John,
    thanks for the advice. I will see how I go. I am taking her up on a grouse moor on Monday just to see how see behaves in the wilds.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Briarquest View Post
    Hi John,
    thanks for the advice. I will see how I go. I am taking her up on a grouse moor on Monday just to see how see behaves in the wilds.

Ian
    Hi Ian,
    How did she get on then, flew like the wind or had the wings of an angel?
    John.

Hi,
    the visit to the moors is now delayed till next Monday. I can imagine she is going to lope off in allsorts of directions in only the way a HWV can

Ian

Wonder if the winner of best in show has any/much hunting instinct left? Would be good to see it on a moor rather than the green carpet.