Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New old marlin??

New old marlin??

Afternoon all,finally managed to pick up this marlin in 30-30.Dont know. Anything about it but think its a 336a as it has a 24" barrel?I know it was made in 1980 but still not definite on model,
    so if anyone knows anything about these rifles please jump in and share your wisdom.
    thanks
    dave

That is nice, definitely has that 1960s look with the white line spacer. I have a similar rifle, but with pistol grip and checkering. Yours looks like my 24-inch barrel .444.

You can look up and decode the serial numbers
    Marlin Manufacture Dates

You will probably want to join the Marlin Owners Club
    Marlin Serial Number DeCoding

I can't help I'm afraid mate but, if you want it looking at, transfer it to my FAC and I'll have a gander. I'll give it back....promise

Nice rifle that, so much nicer than some synthetic thing. Let us know how you get on when you take her out stalking.

Nice buy! I have an older one in 32 Winchester Special with the 24" barrel and one in 30-30, except the 30-30 has the short magazine and only a 22" barrel (1953 production.) Does that rifle have microgroove rifling??~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    That is nice, definitely has that 1960s look with the white line spacer. I have a similar rifle, but with pistol grip and checkering. Yours looks like my 24-inch barrel .444.

You can look up and decode the serial numbers
    Marlin Manufacture Dates

You will probably want to join the Marlin Owners Club
    Marlin Serial Number DeCoding
    Thanks southern,it is a 1980 according to the serial number.
    Dave

Check out marlin owners.com, they will put you right

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Nice buy! I have an older one in 32 Winchester Special with the 24" barrel and one in 30-30, except the 30-30 has the short magazine and only a 22" barrel (1953 production.) Does that rifle have microgroove rifling??~Muir
    Not sure muir,only checked the crown.
    dave
    Ps sorry jim can't lend it to big boys,my mother told me.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Not sure muir,only checked the crown.
    dave
    Ps sorry jim can't lend it to big boys,my mother told me.:-)
    EEK! You didn't look down the barrel???

Just look at the factory logo on the barrel. Should say (or not) "Micro-Groove" (rifling) Or, if you open the breech and peek down the barrel you'll either see a bunch of rifling grooves, or just six.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    EEK! You didn't look down the barrel???

Just look at the factory logo on the barrel. Should say (or not) "Micro-Groove" (rifling) Or, if you open the breech and peek down the barrel you'll either see a bunch of rifling grooves, or just six.~Muir
    It's got a microgroove bore and looks pretty clean If it don't shoot could always use it as crowbar!
    Just need to find a small scope and time to get to the range to shoot it properly.Got some 150gr ppu to try first.
    dave

I found this makes it pleasure to shoot - Kick Eez Recoil Pad Grind to Fit 302-8-M-B All Purpose 15/16" Medium Black - Product no. 663654 - from Midway UK.
    You can get them in any thickness and very easy to fit, I used the old pad as a template to get it to the rough size.