Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing scope over from USA

Bringing scope over from USA

I bought a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x50 on American eBay in the summer for $160, and it's been sitting in a friend's house in New York since then. Now someone I know is going over there for work, and has offered to bring it back in their check-in luggage. Anyone know what's likely to happen if he gets stopped at customs? I assumed he might just have to pay a bit of duty, but I was in a gun shop the other day and they said anything over 4x would be classified as military-grade, and he might therefore get into trouble. I'd always thought anything under 10x was ok. Any advice or similar experiences gladly received!

Scoopes from usa

A Nikon pro staff in any mag is not military grade so no problems I brought a 6.5-20 x 50 back last time and my bag was opened and searched I was even told it might be safer to carry it in hand baggage it would not get damaged.I even had cases and bullets in my bag no probs either.

I have brought loads of scopes from the usa, never had a problem, even after having bags searched by homeland security, they left me a apology note sayin I had been searched.
    gun shops seem to like spilling this crap, they will even tell you the worldwide warranty is void.
    As to the duty, being a honest person I always walk through the nothing to declare channel, only once the airline made me take a bow I had bought to them, they were miffed as they were having coffee.

Military spec has nothing to do with the magnification it is the reticle choice that dictates this. Also if you look at europtic and a fair few other shops you can buy any scope under the legislation as we are a NATO member country.

I bought a brand new Leupold VX1 3-9x40 this summer for $199. It came back in my luggage without any issue...

Frankly it never occured to me that a budget sporting scope could be considered "military grade" or similar nonsense.

For your own piece of mind, it may be worth confirming from an official source exactly what is and is not covered by such provisions. It would be useful to quite a few of us here.

Guy

Good idea. I've now emailed both the Home Office and the Import Licensing Branch of the Dept for Business, Innovation and Skills. Will let you know if by some miracle I get a reply.

Good grief - I've actually received a reply, within 12 hours! This is what the Import Licensing Branch of the Dept for Business, Innovation and Skills has to say:

"This branch issues import licences for firearms, component parts of firearms, ammunition and any accessory to any such firearm or other weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon.

"I can therefore confirm that a rifle scope does not require an import licence as it is neither a component part nor a restricted accessory.

"Please contact HM Revenue & Customs regarding any questions that you may have on import duty or VAT."

Seems pretty conclusive, but I'll wait to see if the Home Office reply.

I bought a Zeiss 3-15X50 from the USA last year and it was sent here no problem, all I had to pay was a small amount of import duty, approx 24 on a 700 scope.
    Noah

Quote Originally Posted by pazmino View Post
    Good grief - I've actually received a reply, within 12 hours! This is what the Import Licensing Branch of the Dept for Business, Innovation and Skills has to say:

"This branch issues import licences for firearms, component parts of firearms, ammunition and any accessory to any such firearm or other weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon.

"I can therefore confirm that a rifle scope does not require an import licence as it is neither a component part nor a restricted accessory.

"Please contact HM Revenue & Customs regarding any questions that you may have on import duty or VAT."

Seems pretty conclusive, but I'll wait to see if the Home Office reply.
    Just remember though that export from the US of some scopes is controled and export requires an export license. To quote the US State Dept., "Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications".

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by topscots1 View Post
    Military spec has nothing to do with the magnification it is the reticle choice that dictates this. Also if you look at europtic and a fair few other shops you can buy any scope under the legislation as we are a NATO member country.
    Sorry, that's not correct. It is not the reticule that determines the trade controls.

Here is the link from the US Government printing office, which is current as of May 9, 2014: eCFR Code of Federal Regulations

Go to 121.1, Category I, Section (f):

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

There is no definition of which scopes are "manufactured to military specifications", which is why so many US companies will refuse to export rifle scopes full stop.

If you are buying a scope direct from the US my recommendation is to make sure they the retailer has an export license.

If you import one by putting it into your luggage, checked or otherwise, be prepared.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!