Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: night vision

night vision

Hi, looking at getting some night vision got about 1500 to spend and would prefer new. Don't know much about nv but my amount is too include ir and any other add ons.
    What do you guys recommend.
    Cheers stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Are you thinking a spotter or a rifle scope?

Rifle scope
    Stav

Are you dedicating a rifle to night vision or want something to fit on a day scope, also what will it be used for (rabitting/foxing)? I would check out the Pulsar digital range from Scott country, well within your budget, the 750/850 as a dedicated night set up or the DFA75 so you can use on various rifles without removing day scope. I have a 550 and get good results.
    Cheers
    Pete.

Its would be used for foxing, its not a problem to put it on a rifle or would a day scope add onbe better?
    Stav

In my opinion you will get better results if you can dedicate a rifle I personally would go for a Pulsar 750 or 850 with a night master 800 IR illuminator which would come in around 1500. I think that would give you a good foxing set up. I use mine on a HMR.17 but my pal uses a 750 on a 22-250 with devastating results (for the fox population). The good thing about digital equipment is it is not damaged by daylight.
    Cheers
    Pete.

Drone pro

how are you going to spot them?

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Drone pro

how are you going to spot them?
    Always wondered that, u see plenty of 2nd hand NV stuff for sale but never a spotter? Does everyone keep there spotter's?

I bought a NV rifle scope which is good but using it for spotting seemed wrong(dangerous and tiring) and with a small field of view is frustrating. I then bought a thermal spotter... Wow what a difference! All of a sudden spotting them is a piece of cake. Once I have spotted the rifle goes on the sticks, switch NV and IR on and shoot.
    Personally I would suggest getting a spotter first and using a rifle mounted lamp that is only on for the shot. When your budget allows then get an NV rifle scope. You could probably get a spotter and scope within budget as the yukon photon is very good for the money at 400ish which would leave some for a spotter. Alternatively you could look at an add on a la Archer where you can spot then attach to your scope for the shot

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Always wondered that, u see plenty of 2nd hand NV stuff for sale but never a spotter? Does everyone keep there spotter's?
    There's usually some for sale on nv forum, or ebay.