Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Jelly, have you seen any?

Star Jelly, have you seen any?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star jelly.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	462.3 KB 
ID:	51058Have anyone come across this? when and where

It must be fairly common as I have come across "blobs" of the mysterious "Star Jelly" maybe once or twice a year, September to November. In the Yorkshire Dales and on the High Pennines Cumbria, always on high moorland ground, usually on paths, sometimes in quite large amounts. (pint or more)
    No one seems to have come to a satisfactory explanation for this curious jelly like substance,
    Theories range from it being deposits from meteor showers or have been expelled by frogs when in danger, to stag semen and other unlikely causes.
    Scientific test carried out on it have found no dna in its make up.
    So it remains a mystery.

Lots of sightings here: https://helvellyn.wordpress.com/2011...-by-ullswater/
    Last edited by telecaster; 05-01-2015 at 09:00.
    “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Sherlock Holmes.

Im sure ive seen similar stuff down here in the south, always though it to be a fungus/fungus related! might not be the same stuff though.

Good luck in your search, its piqued my interest now!

Joe

I'm in favour of the frog theory (either expelled or via a predator which has eaten or attempted to eat). Frog spawn is a similar protein to the substance produced by hagfish and only needs a tiny amount which will absorb large amounts of moisture and swell which would explain why it appears to grow in situ around blades of grass etc.

Last edited by csl; 05-01-2015 at 10:44.

I saw loads of this whilst stalking reds in the north lakes last winter, and wondered what the heck it was! It was splattered all over the place .

I settled on it being the aftermath of aliens leaving their eggcases having been deposited by the mothership in readiness for the takeover of earth..... (ie I had no idea). It was either that or jellyfish that had been washed up by one HELL of a high tide.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I was always told it was frogspawn left behind by Otters or other predators when the frogs move up to the hills and marshes to spawn.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I'm in favour of the frog theory (either expelled or via a predator which has eaten or attempted to eat). Frog spawn is a similar protein to the substance produced by hagfish and only needs a tiny amount which will absorb large amounts of moisture and swell which would explain why it appears to grow in situ around blades of grass etc.

I have always found this on ground where the undergrowth has been flattened and not in vegetation, it is made up of ice cube size lumps, sometimes together, sometimes apart.

Always on high ground near heather. I have never seen this in places that I know hold a lot of frogs.

Also the samples that have been tested show no animal DNA.
    “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Sherlock Holmes.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    So it's not haggis spraint then?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Not sure about the frog theory as I have seen it on the seat of my highseat.

Quote Originally Posted by telecaster View Post
    Also the samples that have been tested show no animal DNA.
    Hmmmm......reckon my 'Alien' theory is bang on the money

THEY'RE HEEEEERE!!!!!!

......and do you reckon 'AOLQ' covers space-monsters??
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Telecaster... I'ts what you will need when Admin collars you for the knuckle-dragging reply you posted in "introductions"!!