Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What plants for a deer lawn?

Question What plants for a deer lawn?

Dear all, I have been allowed a 1/2 acre corner that is too wet for anything but grass, they tried barley last year but it never eared up before winter came. It is organic, so I cannot spray or fertilise. Before the blackthorn and brambles take over can you suggest anything that will hold deer? Is there a proprietry seed mix that you can buy?

Many thanks in advance, ft.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Cabellas sell game mix.

Try sendig this lot an email. They did the gamecover talk at the SGA AGM They know their stuff
    www.kingscrops.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Cabellas sell game mix.
    Fearsome postage Bob, I have had a look at the site. There are restrictions on buying some of the mixes which made me wonder if anyone sold them here?

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Jimbo, I will try them and see what they say, many thanks!

ft

If it is an organic area you will need to talk closely with the landowner in case any seeds that you get are in conflict with the scheme that he is in.

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy View Post
    If it is an organic area you will need to talk closely with the landowner in case any seeds that you get are in conflict with the scheme that he is in.
    J, Have done so.

ft

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Dear all, I have been allowed a 1/2 acre corner that is too wet for anything but grass, they tried barley last year but it never eared up before winter came. It is organic, so I cannot spray or fertilise. Before the blackthorn and brambles take over can you suggest anything that will hold deer? Is there a proprietry seed mix that you can buy?

Many thanks in advance, ft.
    Try planting some bog myrtle and a few climbing roses amongst some blackthorn brashings and a few willow saplings you will be surprised how it will attract deer, especially roe deer the remainder of the area keep well strimmed which encourages the growth of natural new fescues which they also love along with wild mint and rosemary.

Then when you have shot them you wont need to add any herbs, seriously i am not joking it pays dividends put a few licks about as well as it suplements antler growth

We tried kings deer lawn seed.
    Unfortunately we did two things wrong
    1. we should of killed off the existing grasses
    2. it neeeded to be fenced off from deer, giving it a chance to grow..

We did it in 40yds x 2yds strips, rotovated and then fertilised, as soon as the grasses started to come through the deer were on them and just puddled it into one muddy mess. The orinal grasses then just came back and all was lost.

Depending on what area you are in I would suggest some kind of root crop Ideally sugar beet would be the better attactant, but you are still going to have to fence it off to allow the crop to establish.

regards
    griff

In Oban when I landscaped the back of my yard (I am being serious here) I asked the local Agricultural dealer for seed to turn it green in a hurry. He had all sorts of mixes from 60 upwards. Or says he I can get you a bag of sweepings for thirty. Sweepings is just that. Seed from the mill store. It was fantastic. green in 3 days, then the fun started. Flowers, cabbage, kale, turnips and a multitude of other things, A smorgus board for your deer. Its pot luck but the hares loved it,
    Jim