Thread: Wierd scope rings

Wierd scope rings

Evening all,I have recently purchased a marlin rifle which came with leupold std bases and std rings with screws to adjust windage.Looking at the rings I assumed they were 1",but having just tried a 1" scope in the rings I found it doesn't fit as it's too big???
    Measured my 1" scope and it was roughly 25.23mm,measured the rings and they are roughly 24.55mm.Has something gone wrong with the rings or did they use to make wierd size scopes.
    Any help appreciated in getting to the bottom of this!!
    cheers all
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Evening all,I have recently purchased a marlin rifle which came with leupold std bases and std rings with screws to adjust windage.Looking at the rings I assumed they were 1",but having just tried a 1" scope in the rings I found it doesn't fit as it's too big???
    Measured my 1" scope and it was roughly 25.23mm,measured the rings and they are roughly 24.55mm.Has something gone wrong with the rings or did they use to make wierd size scopes.
    Any help appreciated in getting to the bottom of this!!
    cheers all
    dave
    Think I have just found the answer
    Didnt realise they did scopes like 1x4x24 or 1x4x20 even!
    dave

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Think you might find they are for older scopes that used to have a 25mm tube as opposed to 1" which is 25.4 mm
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Think you might find they are for older scopes that used to have a 25mm tube as opposed to 1" which is 25.4 mm
    The plot thickens!!
    the rings I have are 24.55mm so would not accept a 25mm scope??
    thanks
    dave
    ps hope you had a nice Christmas

I'm slightly confused Plonker are you saying that the rings are too large for your 1" scope or the scope is too large for the rings?

If the rings are too large they could be 26mm rings which is the old size that European scopes were before the manufacturers decided to standardise on 1" which as you say is 25.4mm.
    If they are 26mm rings by any chance I have a set of 1" rings that I would be very happy to swap you for them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Attachment 51085Attachment 51084
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I'm slightly confused Plonker are you saying that the rings are too large for your 1" scope or the scope is too large for the rings?

If the rings are too large they could be 26mm rings which is the old size that European scopes were before the manufacturers decided to standardise on 1" which as you say is 25.4mm.
    If they are 26mm rings by any chance I have a set of 1" rings that I would be very happy to swap you for them.
    Hi 8x57, my 1" scope is too big for the rings!
    look at the gap on the underside of the scope,the top fits snug so I'm beginning to think the rings have both been deformed some how?

There is often a bit of spring in this type of ring, is it possible that you are just afraid of forcing it slightly?
    I don't mean really forcing it just applying slightly more pressure, they have to a snug fit after all.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Attachment 51085Attachment 51084
    Hi 8x57, my 1" scope is too big for the rings!
    look at the gap on the underside of the scope,the top fits snug so I'm beginning to think the rings have both been deformed some how?
    Something is very wrong there. Looks like someone has put 1" tops on 25mm bottoms.
    Bin them and get a new pair or you'll crimp the scope tube if you force it.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama