Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong with these reloads?

Is there something wrong with these reloads?

I've been reloading pistol calibre for the last 18 months and did my first rifle loads last week and fired some off on Saturday but think there could be a problem looking at all the gas fouling on the cases, i'm guessing the case neck/cartridge is not sealing in the chamber on firing and allowing hot gas to flow back over the cartridge to the bolt head, is this normal in a rifle?, any advice appreciated

The cases were once fired Norma in 6.5x55 and I did a full length resize using Lee dies and I also used the Lee factory crimp die, I did 6 lots of 6 rounds with 3 lots using Lapua 139gn hpbt with N160 powder using 44/44.5/45gn loads and 3 lots using Sierra 140gn hpbt with N160 powder using 45/45.5/46gn loads, all off them had the same fouling all the way to the ejector ring.
    I fired some Privi 139gn rn beforehand and no fouling evident on those cases, can it just be that the N160 is a dirty powder?

The Privi didn't perform very well in my Browning A bolt at all the grouping was all over the place, all 6 of my trial loads grouped very well with not much difference in them over 100m, I didn't have use of a chrono at the place I was at so I don't know what fps I was getting but there was a noticeable louder report from the reloads, more noticeable recoil and I could hear the thwack of the bullet hitting the backstop compared to the Privi's.

I also got the micrometer out with the following results with random checks from each of my loads:

Make Type Neck Shoulder Case
    Length
    Privi New 7.4mm 11.09mm 54.74mm
    Privi Fired 7.59mm 11.16mm 54.77mm
    Privi Fired Reload 7.4mm 11.13mm 54.7mm
    Norma Resized Reload 7.4mm 11.09mm 54.71mm
    Norma Fired Reload 7.4mm 11.13mm 54.71mm

Step on the throttle a bit. Your pressures are too low. You're sure your scale is good?? ~ Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Step on the throttle a bit. Your pressures are too low. You're sure your scale is good?? ~ Muir
    Was using the Lee perfect powder measure and checked the weights via the Lee beam scale and an mtm digital scale as the perfect powder measure was varying by upto .7 of a grain between throws.

I had the same happen when I full length sized my first cases - even with the hotter loads. You're probably bumping your cases down a bit too much with the full length sizing die - die screwed in a little too far(even if you followed instructions correctly. Try screwing the die out incrementally, sizing a case each time. Try chambering the cases until you feel some resistance when you close the bolt. The die is now set up correctly for your chamber. This should help the cases to seal in the neck area.

VV data is very mild now compared to some load data

either work hardened brass (which would astound me as norma is extremely difficult to work harden) or either
    a) Drop down to a faster powder
    or
    b) as above, up your charge levels

Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    Was using the Lee perfect powder measure and checked the weights via the Lee beam scale and an mtm digital scale as the perfect powder measure was varying by upto .7 of a grain between throws.
    Ok. And your certain the brass is once fired and not work hardened?
    Step it up, then.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ok. And your certain the brass is once fired and not work hardened?
    Step it up, then.~Muir
    When I purchased them I was told they were once fired, not sure what colour primers Norma have from factory, these had silver but still had the same problem on 1 Privi case that sneaked into my loads and that was once fired in my rifle a couple of weeks ago.

I have N140 I could use too but there's no loading data for that past 130gn bullets. 46gn of N160 under a 139gn bullet seemed to be a popular load when I did a search on here a couple of weeks ago.
    45.1gn shows as max load on VV website for the Lapua 139 bullets and 46.7gn as max load for the Sierra 140gn bullets.

The only other difference I noticed was on OAL with the Privi being I think 74mm whereas the VV for the 139/140 is 79/80mm.

Could I look at increasing the final neck crimp to up the pressure in the case?

Should be about the same charge as 7828, H-4381sc, or RL-22: 47.0 grains, yielding about 2700 fps. You need a chronograph. Some of my other manuals show 48.5 and 49.0 gr of VV-N160 as max.

Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    When I purchased them I was told they were once fired, not sure what colour primers Norma have from factory, these had silver but still had the same problem on 1 Privi case that sneaked into my loads and that was once fired in my rifle a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if they still do it but the primers Norma factory ammo used to have a small N impressed into them. It's been a long time since I've bought any factory ammo.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Should be about the same charge as 7828, H-4381sc, or RL-22: 47.0 grains, yielding about 2700 fps. You need a chronograph. Some of my other manuals show 48.5 and 49.0 gr of VV-N160 as max.
    I've kept 3 of each of my loads to use at my normal club as they have a Chrono I can use so I can see what they were producing but unfortunately they only have a 25m rifle range as we mostly only do practical shotgun and mini rifle shooting/comps there. Getting one myself is on my endless list of stuff to buy.

I now have 30 once fired Privi cases that I've fired in my rifle that I can just neck resize and use and 10 that I've already done a full resize on so can see if its the full resizing that's causing the issue.