Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Calibres

Minimum Calibres

Does anyone know why, instead of designating minimum calibres for specific quarry species, the powers that be don't simply designate minimum bullet weights or energy requirements?

I know energy does come into it at present (along with calibre) but why include calibre at all? If they need to add another factor would bullet weight not be more suitable along with energy?

That will depend on the country that you are in!

Ecosse, states a minimum of 50gr on Roe and 100gr for all other species.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    Does anyone know why, instead of designating minimum calibres for specific quarry species, the powers that be don't simply designate minimum bullet weights or energy requirements?
    I suppose because the calibre of a firearm is something that most people (including some FEOs) can easily understand and apply to a form of certification. Bullet weights and, even more so, energy alone cannot be so clearly licensed and listed without the reference to calibre. Also, individual ammunition manufacturers will have different published energy figures for cartridges that appear on the face of it to be identical - then there is the homeloader to consider.

AFAIK the only quarry species with a minimum legal calibre requirement is deer - wild boar and fox are advisory onlyin some force areas and everything else has no stated calibre.

Jingsy,

That is madness,

So in England you legally shoot a 600lb woodland Red stag with a 55gr 243, and yet cross Hadrians wall and you need to use a 100gr bullet to shoot a 20lb Munty or a 30lb Sika calf.

Bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Jingsy,

That is madness,

Bonkers.
    You didn't expect anything to do with Firearms Law and it's administration to be anything else though - did you?

Hows about the situation in Ireland up until not that long ago - .22CF only on all deer!

My understanding is that in Scotland you can shoot roe with a 22 centerfire min bullet weight of 50gn and minimum velocity of 2450fps or 1750 ftlbs
    In England anything other than muntjac need to be shot with a minimum calibre of .240 and 100gn bullet.

I'm sure you will correct meif i'm wrong.

regards
    griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    My understanding is that in Scotland you can shoot roe with a 22 centerfire min bullet weight of 50gn and minimum velocity of 2450fps or 1750 ftlbs
    In England anything other than muntjac need to be shot with a minimum calibre of .240 and 100gn bullet.

regards
    griff
    Griff, in England the 22CF can be used on Munty's and CWD, not on Roe, 50gr minimum bullet, about 1000ft/lbs etc...

For Roe and up is is 243" with minimum energy requirements, no minimum bullet weight. In NI, ours is largely a copy of the Scottish regs, but .236" bullet diameter, 100gr minimum weight and an energy requirement which escapes me.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post

regards
    griff
    I am not sure but I think it is any 240 cal or over and any bullet weight as long as ME is 1700ft/lb or greater

And let us not forget that most dangerous game calibres - eg 470 Nitro Express etc are not deer legal in Scotland because they do not meet the min velocity requirements of 2,450 fps!

Storm, not many Munty's up here over Hadrian's.
    But 100 grainer would sure kill it.

Moe..