Thread: Mitsubishi Colt 5 door

Mitsubishi Colt 5 door

Hello folks,
    The wife and I are looking to buy a car in the near future, as she is likely to be giving up her company motor soon. Any thoughts on the 5-door Mitsubishi Colt? They're remarkably cheap on the approved used market and look to fit our needs which are:
    Must be reliable for her daily commute
    Big enough for me to cart around dog, rifle, luggage, deer, bits of timber, kitchen sink, etc. whenever needed.
    Must seat 4 adults ok for shorter trips (taking her parents out now and again, etc) without luggage.
    Must at least hold its own on the motorway for occasional 200+ mile journeys.
    Any experience with the colt?
    Other ideas?

Thanks all!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Must at least hold its own on the motorway for occasional 200+ mile journeys.
    Had one a couple of years back as a hire car in France and it struggled on the motorway carrying 2 adults and 2 small kids. On some longer inclines I was having to drop out of top gear to keep my speed up and avoid becoming a new hood ornament for an approaching truck!

Pretty sure that would have been the smaller engine though (1000 or 1100 cc) so may not be such an issue if you went for the larger engine. It was pretty small too so even if the rear seats drop I'd doubt you'd be carrying much in the back.

No idea of price or reliability but would focus or astra not be worth a look? Certainly proper load carrying with either of those.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy, useful viewpoint. We'd definitely be going for the 1.3 over the one litre, so hopefully it will do a bit better on long hauls.
    Load carrying I maybe exaggerated a bit, it basically just needs to be better than our company Leon, which has a really small oddly shaped boot aperture and really deep floor. It's like trying to load a normal boot through the back windscreen!
    I believe the colt seats fold fully flat and/or remove, can anyone confirm?
    A friend of ours is the daughter of a Mitsubishi dealer, I'll have to ask her...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Regular Poster
    Have you had a look at the new MG3 hatchback? That is surprisingly cheap when compared to ford etc, even when new. It starts around £8500 and it comes with a 1.5l engine so should be fine on the motorway and is maybe a little bigger than the colt. 5 door and a big boot, plus the rear seats fold down flat.

Was given a loan Mitsubishi Colt when my car had to go to the garage when on holiday. The worst car I have ever driven. The car was an auto and took about 3 seconds to select a gear - you'd pull out at a junction than almost come to a stop whilst she thought of trying second...

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Was given a loan Mitsubishi Colt when my car had to go to the garage when on holiday. The worst car I have ever driven. The car was an auto and took about 3 seconds to select a gear - you'd pull out at a junction than almost come to a stop whilst she thought of trying second...

Ours would be a manual, but this isn't painting a happy picture... Love the video though!

Might look at a Skoda Fabia estate instead. Similar money...
    Blog