Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody can make a mistake

Anybody can make a mistake

Even after 25 year in the job handling firearms its still possible to make a mistake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-elevator.html
    Last edited by howa243; 06-01-2015 at 09:37.

anyone stupid enough to keep one in the chamber in an unholstered firearm whilst trying to put it in a pocket one handed whilst holding a cake in an elevator......

yes I agree.....

Cobblers, what's the point of carrying an empty gun if it's for defence.

It does make you wonder about the safety system though and why he should decide to move the pistol from his pocket and reholster it when in the lift and with one hand already occupied.. Can't be sure from the video but it looks like one of the smaller Glock's or possibly a one of the plastic fantastic Smith & Wesson pistols. Incidentally the other shooting reported last week where a 2 year old accidently shot his mother in a supermarket after accessing her concealed carry pistol involved one of the modern Smith & Wesson pistols.

Edit that. He moved the pistol from his holster to the pocket not the other way around.
    Last edited by 8x57; 06-01-2015 at 10:17.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Cobblers, what's the point of carrying an empty gun if it's for defence.
    if the safety doesn't stop it going off when dropped...I would say the point is not accidentally shooting yourself or others....
    at least he shot himself and not his wife/girlfriend/partner/friend.

Though not a great fan of trigger safety systems as fitted on the pistols that I mentioned, much preferring a separate safety myself (as on Browning/Colt), in this instance I think the problem was user related thus nothing more or less complicated than a ND. Fortunately the only person hurt is the actual user and hopefully it will be his pride that will be hurting more than any physical injury.
    I dare say that you could say that a degree of complacency was involved, so a lesson to us all in a way, as we all become complacent at some time.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Edit that. He moved the pistol from his holster to the pocket not the other way around.
    Oh, no: he transitioned it.

I think that something professional operators do.

Having said that...

Familiarity > complacency = any of us.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Love the way at the end of the video his misses was not going to leave the cake behind.

I think that with the majority of accidents, whether it be a ND, cutting yourself with a knife, falling off ladders or whatever, you can look back on after and identify something that you did that in hindsight was stupid. (The others are mainly equipment failures.) You may be the safest person in the world normally, but something, whether it's being distracted, thinking about what to do next, what's for tea, is the wife leaving me etc. causes this stupid thing to happen. It's what is called the human condition.

Of course God makes these things happen so that people on websites such as this one can condemn you as a bumbling, unsafe buffoon, unfit for normal society. As if the shock of a firearm going off unexpectedly, the injury, the pain, the loss of bits of your body, or worse someone else's isn't enough.

Right, off to put the kettle on....

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I think that with the majority of accidents, whether it be a ND, cutting yourself with a knife, falling off ladders or whatever, you can look back on after and identify something that you did that in hindsight was stupid. (The others are mainly equipment failures.) You may be the safest person in the world normally, but something, whether it's being distracted, thinking about what to do next, what's for tea, is the wife leaving me etc. causes this stupid thing to happen. It's what is called the human condition.

Of course God makes these things happen so that people on websites such as this one can condemn you as a bumbling, unsafe buffoon, unfit for normal society. As if the shock of a firearm going off unexpectedly, the injury, the pain, the loss of bits of your body, or worse someone else's isn't enough.

Well said that man

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

This is the reason I posted the story. There are some that think that mistakes don't happen (no such thing as an accidental discharge only negligent ones), but I think mistakes do just happen.