dyeing/staining a 2nd hand Joe west stock , ideas/advice

6.5rem700

hi just wondered if anyone out there has stained a joe west stock after it had been oiled ??
i have a black and white ,its more like black and pine colour 2nd hand Joe West , i would like to darken it down.
it has been oiled so would have to be sanded down to bare stock BUT would the oil have penetrated deep into it so a stain or wood dye would not take to it ?? Also would the epoxy that is used to make the blank stop any dye taking on the stock
i have emailed JW a while ago but have not had a response
any help/advice welcome before i make a hash of it
biggrin.png

it has been oiled so would have to be sanded down to bare stock BUT would the oil have penetrated deep into it so a stain or wood dye would not take to it ??

Possibly, you would be better stripping chemically rather than physically

Also would the epoxy that is used to make the blank stop any dye taking on the stock

epoxy will stain but at a different level and rate, it is this that contributes to the stripey stain effect

if stripping oil I would use something like a salicylic acid
I pulled the oil out of a shotgun stock an absolute treat with it
no idea if it will mess the epoxy up though

I use Nitomors to strip and it seems to get rid of all varnush and other rubbish on the stock such as fifty plus years of tobacco film on an air rifle I bought out of a public house that reeked of cigarrettes and pipe tobacco.

OTOH I had a .270 Churchill that whatever I did to it I could never get the stock to take any sort of colour or stain. It stubbornly refused to take any colour at all. So sometimes some wood willa nd some wood won't.

You may not be able to get the finish off and the sealer out, depending on what it is. But for future reference, get some alcohol stains, which are compatible with almost every finish finish. You can wipe them in and off, and control just how dark you want to go. These are most commonly sold in small quantities by vendors of archery tackle, for staining arrows, which may be a white Norway pine, to a walnut, oak, or mahogany color. Then they are sealed and varnished, and painted with decorative bands. Fine furniture making stores will have it in pints, which is enough for dozens of rifles.

if stripping oil I would use something like a salicylic acid
I pulled the oil out of a shotgun stock an absolute treat with it
no idea if it will mess the epoxy up though

I would try this route or Oxylic acid, what colour do you want to go I doubt you'll shift the black but if it's the white you want to darken then these will lift the oil enough to re-stain it.

No no idea of the effect on the glues.

... Might be a good Idea to contact Joe West directly, send them a message today and they may get back to you within 12 months ... You never know

have spoken to simon [Joes dad] who makes the laminate stocks
had some good advice to proceed with
thanks all for your help

Back