Reduced loads that compliment moderators

Wordsalad

Hi , Do any of you lads use reduced reloads when using a moderator with centre fire calibres?? I know this is complex due to required ballistic energies for legal Deer stalking rounds , but I imagine there will be complimentary reduced loads that keep within the required parameter , What do you use?? I'm especially curious about 243 and 308.
Cheers Gaz

Have a bump on me mate, surely someone with more experiance than me should give you an answer, maybe have by pm.
Regards NEil

Reduced recoil in a .243 is hard, very much in danger of slipping out of the deer legal bracket. Best way would be to move to a lighter bullet. The problem been with that in .243 is finding a light but suitable bullet for deer.
View attachment 51314

These are both max loads in equal weight rifles. 3400fps with a 70gr would be even less in recoil and still deer legal.
Finding lighter bullets suitable for deer in 6mm isn't easy though. Far from it infact.

Making the rifle heavier would work aswell. As would a longer barrel (not something which can be done as easily obviously), the benefit would be that you could achieve the same velocity for less powder used, thus reducing recoil.

Last edited:
Hi , Do any of you lads use reduced reloads when using a moderator with centre fire calibres?? I know this is complex due to required ballistic energies for legal Deer stalking rounds , but I imagine there will be complimentary reduced loads that keep within the required parameter , What do you use?? I'm especially curious about 243 and 308.
Cheers Gaz

I'm puzzled why you would want to, with a mod on most are very mild mannered. There are subsonic 308 rounds available (Lapua) but they are not deer legal with muzzle energies of 687 joules which is about 500 ft lbs

I ran a reduced load for roe in my .243 (moderated)

38.2gr N160 under 100gr Interlocks

no idea what MV is was but circa 26-2700 I would guess

very accurate, didnt bruise or burst and knocked them over.
Didn't use the .243 much to be honest but would do this again if I was

Load data says so, I'll run them all over my chrony beforehand to be sure

Hodgdon reckon 405gr@1511fps which gives 2053 ft-lbs.

Obviously nowhere near legal North of the border!

Last edited:
This is great info , the legal side being my primary interest , Some of these reduced loads are so quiet when using a moderator....But UK legal!!!! that's the thing.

Last edited:
That's true, although with standard deviation some of the loads would be under 1700 ft-lbs. Never heard of anyone being tested mind.
I'd always want 1800 just to be sure.

Most moderators work better regardless of MV with flat base bullets. They serve to reduce the amount of gas getting in front of the bullet inside the moderator. Same goes for rifles with muzzle brakes. The gas gets by the bullet and creates a turbulence that the bullet must then fly though disrupting flight.

SS

Back