Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder measure/thrower in kits, are they accurate?

Powder measure/thrower in kits, are they accurate?

I've been looking at kits and reading about reloading ahead of actually getting set up later this year. I notice that many kits (primarily the Lee kits) come with a powder measure than goes on the loading press and dispenses powder directly into the case. I was wondering how accurate these tend to be as everything I've read suggests getting a good beam scale and weighing your load carefully. Obviously this doesn't happen with the powder thrower.

Could the thrower be used separately to throw an underweight charge and then use a trickler to bring it up to correct weight on the scales or are they only useable on the press?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    I've been looking at kits and reading about reloading ahead of actually getting set up later this year. I notice that many kits (primarily the Lee kits) come with a powder measure than goes on the loading press and dispenses powder directly into the case. I was wondering how accurate these tend to be as everything I've read suggests getting a good beam scale and weighing your load carefully. Obviously this doesn't happen with the powder thrower.

Could the thrower be used separately to throw an underweight charge and then use a trickler to bring it up to correct weight on the scales or are they only useable on the press?

Thanks.
    Well, a good beam scale is a must regardless of the powder dispensing unit. And whether or not you weigh and trickle each individual charge will depend on how well your thrower (powder measure) works. I have about all of them and some work well with some powder and some don't. You'll need to see how accurately it tosses a charge and decide if it's accurate enough for you. I used (and still use) Lee Dipper son occasion and have produced great loads with them. The closer you decide to run to maximum, the more demanding you are going to need to be of your measure/weight set up. Coarser powders are the hardest to dispense accurately with any measure. I think I have saved a zillion hours of spare time by acquiring a Neil Jones Precision powder measure. It will toss IMR 4350 to +/- one-tenth of a grain when it varies at all. IT is a very expensive measure ($550 US) but it does what it says it will do. Once I set the measure using a scale, it will throw charge after charge with boring accuracy. Harrel is another good measure. IT costs about half of what the Jones measure costs. Oddly, it costs less than the Redding BR-3 "Precision Match" measure I have @ $294US. This Redding is horrible. I'd take the Lee over it any day. I do like the Lee's. A bit of a break-in period but once they are working, they are as good as most, and better than some.

Yes, You throw underweight charges and trickle up. That's how it's done. The Lee comes with a bench mount stand.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 07-01-2015 at 00:17.

If you are going to weigh every charge, anyway, get the set of Lee scoops and find the right one to throw just under your current charge, then trickle the last increment.

Thank you both. If I decide to go with the kit, I'll investigate how the thrower gets on, if not then probably just buy the scoops and find one that works. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post

Thanks.
    I use a powder thrower on my press. I drop a slight under charge of the powder into a small glass jar then pour It into the powder pan on the beem scales then trickle up to the rite weight. The reason for the jar is when you drop it into the powder pan some usualy bounces out.

Regards Kev
    Last edited by kev.rem700; 09-01-2015 at 17:47.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    If you are going to weigh every charge, anyway, get the set of Lee scoops and find the right one to throw just under your current charge, then trickle the last increment.
    Here. See if there is something close for the powder you use.~Muir
    http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf

I've just started loading and have one of the lee kits that I bought SH and upgraded the scales to some RCBS 505s.

I think as has been said a lot will depend on the powder, so far I have loaded .22H and .223 with Lil' gun and Tac respectively the powder metres well for the Lil' gun but for the Tac, which is a finer powder, it seems very accurate indeed. Most of the literature I have read states that even when throwing powder accurately every 5th or 10th throw should be weighed as a safety measure. At the moment I am weighing every other 1 just to be sure!!

I have started using a lee powder chucker thingymabob

I find it very easy to weigh a case (digital scales), tare/zero it, throw the powder straight in and weigh again
    gives me the powder charge

I would say 9/10 times its bang on
    odd one under but very rarely over

I frow mine shy into a 338lm case an pour into the cradle ,this way powder doesn't bounce out everywhere

Thanks all, interesting stuff to read and get my head round. I'm not reloading yet, just reading and learning so I can make informed choices when it comes to getting set up later in the year.