Thread: Stolen shotguns

Stolen shotguns

About 18 months ago my brother suffered a burglary at his home in Essex, Amongst Jewellery and other items, his gun cabinet containing two shotguns was also located and stolen, the cabinet was well fitted, being bolted to the wall and screwed with coach bolts to an oak floor, looking at the state of the wall and oak floor my brother thinks it must have been crowbarred out to remove it.

Today he informed me that the police have recovered one of the guns, his lovely Beretta silver pigeon 3 was found in the boot of an apparently abandoned stolen car.....he won't be getting it back though as it is now sporting a pair of short sawn off barrels!..... The idiots hadn't even filed the serial numbers off it to stop it being identified. It has now been sent to London in an attempt to recover fingerprints and or DNA evidence.

The thieves got away with a very substancial haul besides the guns and it looks like these shotguns have ended up in the hands of some very serious criminals.... No sign of his semi auto as yet though!
    Last edited by paultap; 07-01-2015 at 19:54.

Hope the nail someone for it, but to be honest in 18 months the gun has probably changed hands a few times and the last person in possession probably wouldn't even know where it came from in the first place. At least it's another one off the streets
    Wingy

Was he also in S.Wales mate ? Bloody worrying that is!

Since you said other things were taken I wonder if they just happened along the safe and took it or if it was planned / they knew it was there!

How did your brother fair with the Police ? Can't imagine they were all too impressed, although it's not exactly his fault some scum bags done it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30668832

This happened here just last weekend....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Was he also in S.Wales mate ? Bloody worrying that is!

Since you said other things were taken I wonder if they just happened along the safe and took it or if it was planned / they knew it was there!

How did your brother fair with the Police ? Can't imagine they were all too impressed, although it's not exactly his fault some scum bags done it!

Be intrested to hear how he got on with police too. I would hope he had no hassle

If his guns are securely locked away and police have looked at the storage/cabinet and satisfied they are securely anchored then its not his fault them have been stolen with enough force time or tools they will get into any safe/cabinet

To give a bit more detail, my brother lives in a nice area in Essex in a big house which is surrounded by trees. The privacy offered by the trees obviously worked in the thieves favour. This was a daytime burgalry, my brother was in work at the time... His wife came home about 3pm and all was ok, she put their two dogs in the kitchen as they had been out with her and went back out for 1 hour only, when she returned she found that a large panel on the front door had been sledge hammered in to gain entry.... One of their two cars was still on their gravel drive as she left earlier, so it looks like the house was being watched as it would otherwise have appeared that somebody was still at home.

Ironically if the dogs had not been locked in the kitchen then it is possible that they would not have been burgled, one of the dogs is a large bouvier who makes one hell of a din when the front door is knocked.... Sometimes he can even hear people walking on the gravel outside and barks his head off before they ever make it to the front door.

My brothers FEO had only just visited for a certificate renewal and pronounced the cabinet security as fine, the cabinet was locked inside a downstairs pantry and was well installed, I know this as I put the cabinet in myself!

My brother had no problems with the police at all who were very sympathetic regarding the burgalry, scenes of crime had found the mark in the soil and damage to bushes from the heavy cabinet where the thieves had opened a window and pushed it outside to get it out. Fortunately my brother had photos, receipts and detailed valuations of the vast majority of items taken, which was just as well as his insurance company tried a lot of stalling and "gift voucher" offering before finally settling the claim.

He lives in an area of large houses, many of which are sheltered by trees. He went around asking neighbours if they had seen anything ( no one had) he was surprised to find out that a lot of these big houses had also been burgled over the precediing years!

I am assuming that the burglars had parked a vehicle on the drive, otherwise they would have had to carry a (still locked) 5 gun cabinet and contents weighing at least 70lb from the property and into view of the main road.... Frightingly, if his wife had returned earlier should could have unknowingly blocked their vehicle in with her car, with them still inside the house!.... God knows what might have happened to her then if she had surprised them In this way.

Needless to say he has now beefed up his home security SUBSTANCIALLY .
    Last edited by paultap; 07-01-2015 at 20:23.