Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opticron

Opticron

Hi All,
    I've decided to improve the binoculars I already use. Since most of my stalking is in low light (Fallow) I want something that performs well in these conditions. I have no access to try good quality bins as there are very few shops carrying Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss over here. I saw a pair of Opticron Imagic BGA 10x42 for sale. on line, and wondered are they any good.

I can (once I have my 30 posts) always wait and do a wanted ad for a second hand set of Swarovskis or Leicas but I don't think I'll ever be able to splash out on new.

Cheers AB

If its fallow you're after the swarovski leica are the way to go. How often I spot my fallow before first light because of my swaro bins which enables me to get in front of them and get in the right place for a shot.

I bought a pair of Oticron 7 x 42 for my wife and I am really impressed by them. Not a long way off my 7 x 42 Dialyts. Not looked at the 10 x 42 and that might worry me a bit as they have a smaller exit pupil.

David.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    The most recent 7x42 from Opticron was the Opticron Imagic BGA SE 7x42 which had dielectric prism coatings, a nice light binocular. Quite a few people use them for stalking.

A 7x42 will give you a 6mm exit pupil, compared to just 4.2mm of a 10x42; a better view in diminishing light if your eye pupil can accomodate it. S.

So 7 x42 or 8 x 56 gives close to the optimum performance in low light? The opticron sale also has 8x32s going at a great price. I think I'll wait, fill the piggy bank and buy a decent set.

Go the little extra and get the BDA far better.

Opticron are superb, I`ve been using them for years and they are an utter bargain compared to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Go the little extra and get the BDA far better.

Opticron are superb, I`ve been using them for years and they are an utter bargain compared to some.
    Still undecided. I've spent most of the morning looking at similar discussions and the majority of the advise is buy higher end optics like, Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. My real problem is not being able to try and having to rely mostly on reviews. I'm happy enough to hold off, save a little more and buy an expensive set if they do a better job.

Binocular discussions seem to be very like the "whats the best caliber" threads.

While you're saving up for some top line bins, maybe buy an old pair - the Russian Tento, Zoms, Zenit & Gnu marks were all optically excellent. They can be bought for low money & although not fully waterproof they have very good glass with excellent coatings.
    The Ruskies took a lot of the German optics industry machinery at the end of the war & used it & the know how to produce the glass. It shows - the quality was right up there with the premium brands - only the cases/mountings were a bit lower quality.
    I still have my Tento 7x50 pair that I bought new for 27 about 25 years ago & they are as nice to look through as any of my expensive modern ones. They are much better than the low-mid price ranges that are sold for up to 150 nowadays.
    Look out on line & in second hand / charity shops as they turn up quite regularly.

Ian

Saw a pair of Zenit 7 x 50s in excellent, almost mint condition today in an auction. The nearly went for a fiver but I thought that was scandal and pushed the buyer up to 25.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaburner View Post
    Still undecided. I've spent most of the morning looking at similar discussions and the majority of the advise is buy higher end optics like, Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. My real problem is not being able to try and having to rely mostly on reviews. I'm happy enough to hold off, save a little more and buy an expensive set if they do a better job.

Binocular discussions seem to be very like the "whats the best caliber" threads.
    Buy top end if you can,but not everybody has that kind of cash to spend on binos Opticron are very good for the money and their top of the range models, compare well with some top end names.

As a pro stalker I have been using Opticrons for years, for stalking purposes they do fine , and find them superior to many similar priced binos.