Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third time lucky SD sponsored DSC1

Third time lucky SD sponsored DSC1

Hi all,
    Well, here's the latest installment in my DSC1 sponsorship journey. After the excitement last year of being given one of the SD's brilliant sponsored DSC1 course places, I suffered the disappointment of two cancellations, both due to undersubscription at my chosen venue.
    I've been waiting since my second cancellation for BASC to update the website with some courses, fearing at one point that a trip to Scotland might be the only way (not that I don't like Scotland, but it's rather a long way!). Anyway, I received confirmation today that my course has been booked. Late April in Cirencester
    I've yet to decide whether I'll drive down each day or look for somewhere to stay, but no matter, it was the closest and in a nice enough part of the world.
    Whilst it's a shame I've had to wait so long, I do feel a little more confident and knowledgeable (ONLY a little, I expect a lot of stalkers have forgotten more than I have learnt) as I've had a chance to get out stalking on a few occasions, mostly through generous site members although I have saved up my pennies and paid for a couple of stalks too. Two dead deer and a few more "armed walks" have at least given some context to a lot of the theory in the course manual.
    There's also the exciting possibility thay I may now be able to use my own rifle for the course, as long as my local police are at least averagely quick with applications and don't try it on telling me I need DSC1 first.
    So! Time to blow the dust off the manual and get learning again!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

i got my dsc1 late last year and found it to be very worthwhile. i found that it was worth practicing the species id section!

best of luck.

enjoy it m8,youl learn stuff and meet some good peeps too,if its with HME off here youl eat some nice cake too

good on you simon,good luck thats another thing on my 2015 wish list,atb doug,ps one more some of tonys sticks,ssshhhh,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 07-01-2015 at 17:04.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    Well, here's the latest installment in my DSC1 sponsorship journey. After the excitement last year of being given one of the SD's brilliant sponsored DSC1 course places, I suffered the disappointment of two cancellations, both due to undersubscription at my chosen venue.
    I've been waiting since my second cancellation for BASC to update the website with some courses, fearing at one point that a trip to Scotland might be the only way (not that I don't like Scotland, but it's rather a long way!). Anyway, I received confirmation today that my course has been booked. Late April in Cirencester
    I've yet to decide whether I'll drive down each day or look for somewhere to stay, but no matter, it was the closest and in a nice enough part of the world.
    Whilst it's a shame I've had to wait so long, I do feel a little more confident and knowledgeable (ONLY a little, I expect a lot of stalkers have forgotten more than I have learnt) as I've had a chance to get out stalking on a few occasions, mostly through generous site members although I have saved up my pennies and paid for a couple of stalks too. Two dead deer and a few more "armed walks" have at least given some context to a lot of the theory in the course manual.
    There's also the exciting possibility thay I may now be able to use my own rifle for the course, as long as my local police are at least averagely quick with applications and don't try it on telling me I need DSC1 first.
    So! Time to blow the dust off the manual and get learning again!
    Hats off to you son

I know things can get a bit demoralising when your expectations of something good are shattered or, in your case cancelled through no fault of your own
    At least you have the balls and determination to carry on and hopefully achieve something that should lead to you acquiring your DSC2, thus making your way in the stalking world a little more accessible

I have mixed views on these courses, content, cost etc and whilst I have no wish to discourage you or anyone else from taking up the personal challenge of the DSC qualifications, I would just like to point out that in 1987 I succumbed to pressure and took the NSCC ( National Stalkers Competence Certificate ) cost 6 and that included the badge! even then that bit of paper opened up a lot of doors for me, and still does in the form of DSC

The need to have qualifications has fast become the norm now and, unlike a lot of people I know who have buried their heads up their own arses thinking they`re bullet proof, know everything and, their way is the only way ! you and other younger people are taking up IMHO the correct route and getting what you know quantified on a piece of paper, trust me in the not too distant future when your applying for some lease or license that's what will put you on the pile above the rest, those who have nothing will get nothing!

I am of course talking about State, FC , Crown , and any Government bodies offering sporting leases, not so much the private landowners as yet but this is filtering in slowly but surely

Good luck with your course in April, let us know how you get on

Bob

Tell the police you are book on the course might be a bit more forgiving

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    enjoy it m8,youl learn stuff and meet some good peeps too,if its with HME off here youl eat some nice cake too
    Cake?! I do hope so!

The trainer is Paul Hill I believe, if that means anything to anyone?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, I had a similar problems when I was trying to organise mine, being a teacher I can't have term time Fridays or Mondays off and it seemed all courses ran on one of those days. Amazingly, there were none during my holidays which are plentiful bar one which was already full!

Eventually I found a basc course run over two weekends, this meant trips down to the Kent Sussex border on two seperate weekends, however it was all worth it.

I got my Dec1 certificate in the post yesterday. You are already ahead of me in the practical stakes though, I have been on walks but as of yet haven't managed to take a deer.

You aren't a million miles away from me, if you need anything and I can help let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post

I got my Dec1 certificate in the post yesterday. You are already ahead of me in the practical stakes though, I have been on walks but as of yet haven't managed to take a deer.
    I got lucky, took my first two deer on my first and second attempts and have been on a dry spell ever since. That's the nature of stalking I guess! I've been meaning to get another trip down to Barry's ground sorted out for another go.
    If I think of anything you might be able to help with I'll give you a shout, thanks.
    Good luck finding your first deer!
    Blog

All things come to those that wait. Glad to hear its finally booked and good luck.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.