Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leg injure in roe buck

leg injure in roe buck

was out stalking last week stalk in to a yearling buck that look lame so decided to cull the animal. turns out a good call it had a leg injure so would not have survive this winter.looks like was broken for a long time see how the fur has grown in to the brake and the bone has enlarged. by the way i do hold a out of season licence so animal welfare comes first just thought id share this with you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P070115_15.070001.jpg   P070115_15.060001.jpg   P070115_15.060002.jpg  

Good job. To be honest, I would've put it out of its misery regardless

I agree with your decision to cull.

well done supersport.
    I would have done the same regardless of an out of season licence - that wouldn't have entered my head.

I don't think even the most bloody-minded of people would disagree that shooting that buck was anything but the right thing to do

Good call mate. Last year I shot a Fallow buck. It was moving a bit strange and when I went to pick it up I noticed one hind leg was missing from the hock down. The wound had healed perfectly and the animal was of good wieght. I think it lost the leg in an encounter with wire.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Good call mate. Last year I shot a Fallow buck. It was moving a bit strange and when I went to pick it up I noticed one hind leg was missing from the hock down. The wound had healed perfectly and the animal was of good wieght. I think it lost the leg in an encounter with wire.
    Tusker
    Did exactly the same with a roe buck in April rear leg from the hock down was missing but it had healed over like a dogs docked tail. Other than a limp it was in good health.
    Wingy

It may have been a good call to stop it suffering in the short term, but we see evidence time and time again that wounds such as this are highly survivable. When I stalked on STANTA 3 legged deer were often seen, which I put down to the amount of wire and string that inevitably gets left on a military training area.
    Personally, if the only ill effects it was showing was a limp, I'd not have culled it out of season, unless the constriction was still attached, such as a fox snare or length of baling twine hanging off the leg.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    It may have been a good call to stop it suffering in the short term, but we see evidence time and time again that wounds such as this are highly survivable. When I stalked on STANTA 3 legged deer were often seen, which I put down to the amount of wire and string that inevitably gets left on a military training area.
    Personally, if the only ill effects it was showing was a limp, I'd not have culled it out of season, unless the constriction was still attached, such as a fox snare or length of baling twine hanging off the leg.
    interesting thought harry mac im incline to agree with what you say and yes the animaul did appear in good helth and had a good body weight.but in saying that i think i did the rite thing still i would say that wouldn't i.