Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

Just thinking of investing in one of the above. Has anyone got one? Are they any good?
CH

Just been looking at these myself, they seem to get good reviews from across the pond and I like the link function to your phone/tablet via the app.

I've just got my hands on one and should be able to get out with it this weekend.

At first sight it looks straightforward to set up and use. A complementary app is free and easy to locate, download and install.

Surprisingly, the cable that connects the chrono to the phone plugs into the microphone socket and not the USB port.

I got one tail end of last week. Tried it out with the air rifle on Sunday. I was surprised to see the microphone jack being used for data transfer. I downloaded the app onto my iPhone 6 and it was looking good. Connected it all up in the recommended order but the software wouldn't recognise the connection with the supplied cable. I think the phone was ok because when I cycled the volume up and down it registered as "headset volume". Bought another cable and still no joy.

Anyway, I went outside, switched the unit on with the 2 white plastic strips mounted over the light detectors and fired about 10 shots. Didn't register anything. I replaced the white plastic strips with the IR lights that were also supplied and the unit worked ok.
So I can get something out of it but the software seemed pretty capable and I'm a bit peeved that it doesn't work.

I'll be interested to know how you get on.
CH

Last edited:
Had one for a few months, first unit would not talk to the phones (it is a serial port implemented on the audio jack). The second unit sent over here works fine.

Got one last week too, not had time to get to the range yet but tried it in the lounge just throwing some of my cats toys through it and it recorded it fine. The app worked ok on my Samsung S5 and all data came through fine, I've even setup templates for the different bullets I'm going to be using and it's going to be great on the range as I won't have to write down the data after each shot like I do with the club Chrono, email data transfer too.

I tried to download the app to my HTC Flyer tab but it wasn't having any of it which was a pain as would have preferred using the bigger screen but I guess it's just one more thing I would have had to carry to the range, I might see if it will work on an old iPhone 3gs I have.

The only negative I would say on the package so far (as other reviews have also said) is the tripod supplied is pretty flimsy so I've taken it out and replaced it with a decent camera tripod I already had lying around.

Just thought I could have tried it with my air soft pistol.

Got one up the range to use and it works well from when I used it. Just turned it on ,flick the switch to fps or ms. i used the app and lead and it was dead easy to figure out and did everything you'd expect it do.

I've just had a little play with the chrono and the app. It all works well, but I could do with some instructions for the app., mostly to explain how the target imaging and measuring tool works. Any ideas?

I've just had a little play with the chrono and the app. It all works well, but I could do with some instructions for the app., mostly to explain how the target imaging and measuring tool works. Any ideas?

Just had a look at the app and if you click edit in the Group page you can then press the camera looking button and take a picture of your target, then click the reticle looking button then it appears you can tap the screen where your bullet holes are and it tells you what the grouping is.

Pity there doesn't appear to be an instruction manual for the app.

JCS,

thanks for the tip with the Caldwell app. Is the idea to set the line (required before marking the bullet holes) across the widest part of the group?

re. Magnetospeeds... this is simply the best chrono I've ever used. Much pricier than the Caldwell, but also much more convenient.

That said, it's the smartphone interface that makes the Caldwell stand out among otherwise similar sky-screen units.

Just had a look at the app and if you click edit in the Group page you can then press the camera looking button and take a picture of your target, then click the reticle looking button then it appears you can tap the screen where your bullet holes are and it tells you what the grouping is.

Pity there doesn't appear to be an instruction manual for the app.

I contacted caldwells customer service about the group sizing part of the app as I asked how does the app no the scale of the target used as this can change depending Distance camera is from target and got the following reply

In order to use the grouping size feature you first need a string. Open up that string and select “edit.” This will either be on the upper right side of the app, or you can access it by pressing the menu button on your phone. Now, click on the camera icon and take a photo of your target and follow the prompts to crop and draw a one inch line. Then touch where each shot hit the target and it will tell you your spread.

Whether this will help any of you, they did say there was no user manual for the app.

Take a photo of your target and follow the prompts to crop and draw a one inch line.

that is a really helpful bit of info.

Many thanks for following this up and posting the reply you received from Caldwell here. :tiphat:

I'd better use some targets with inch grids on then.

Back