Ruger 10/22

Franklin2890

Any guys on here using a ruger 10/22 how do you find them? Are they accurate and reliable or am I best off looking else where?

I went for one as my first rifle, seem good enough with millions of spare parts available and also lots mods to do to it to make it more accurate etc if you want as time goes by.

Was thinking of putting a new barrel/stock on as the rifle is me fathers so I would be getting it for nothing so that free up a lot of funds to do some mods to it

Was thinking of putting a new barrel/stock on as the rifle is me fathers so I would be getting it for nothing so that free up a lot of funds to do some mods to it

A free rifle with the price of buying a rifle spent on it would make something pretty nice at the end of it if you keep your eyes out for a few nice bits.

Rimfire Magic is a good place to look, green mountain barrels are meant to be good upgrades.

Also take a look on YouTube at the videos that go through different mods step by step

I have a 22/10 standard synthetic stainless

at 25m i can stick three rounds in side a 10mm hole

At 50m Using a Yukon Photon night vision (which is not an easy scope to use) I stick three rounds in a 25mm circle

at 100m I have a 175mm drop on a 50m zero using CCI stingers and I get about a 30mm group again using a Yukon Photon which i have to get the A4 square of paper in the middle of to shoot as no whay can I see the actual bull

This is shooting off a bypod with no rear suport laying on the ground in an open field

I have no real understanding of the Lack of accuracy issues with the 22/10

I reckon with a better scope i could seriously improve thease results

ATB

Chasey

I've used them for about 30 years . If you put some money into a barrel and a better trigger , they can be very accurate . Getting rid of the barrel band , or relieving it so it doesn't contact the barrel , will help immensely .That's if your rifle does have a barrel band of course . I like 10/22's , but I'll be the first to admit that they do usually need some tweaking before they shoot consistently good groups . When they're set up properly , they're a great little rifle . Good luck .

AB

This is mine out at a prairiedog town. It has a Green Mountain barrel. At the time of the photo the scope was an old Weaver V-8 external adjustment from the early 70s. The trigger was done my me and is bolt gun-grade. (A reworked volquartzen) IT is one of my most accurate .22's and that includes my CZ and BRNO bolt guns.~Muir

SquirrinatorRES.jpg%7E320x480

For my money I would have a new barrel, trigger and stock, when you the find subs it likes it will cycle fine and shoot well. Keep it clean and it will work.

For my money I would have a new barrel, trigger and stock, when you the find subs it likes it will cycle fine and shoot well. Keep it clean and it will work.

Thats what am think already had a price on a bergara barrel and stock and have a friend who could do the trigger

Just buy an anschutz bolt action. Most people say 10/22 just jam and arnt accurate. 2 friends got 10/22 last year and they dont have them now!

I've got a cz 452 that shoots under 1" at 100 yards with Winchester subs.
I just don't get they 10/22 thing; seems like marketing genius on Ruger's part.
But from the consumers point of view...nope.

Brilliant little rifle. I've had mine for 18 years now. It's taken lots of stick (used professionally), never had the barrel cleaned and yet is still accurate enough out to 50-60 yards with subsonic ammunition. The key is to find ammo it likes (CCI for mine) and keep the magazines clean.

So you buy a 10/22, replace just about everything, then ,with a bit of bedding work and tuning, you have an accurate rifle ?.
Hmmm
I do get your point about swapping everything but the rifle is gifted to me so wouldn't be buying the rifle and have spare funds to make some changes to it and make it my own rifle. Just wanted people opinion on the rifle what there like

Last edited:
Sorry, it wasn't pointed at you personally and your plan is sound.
It was just a comment on the viability of the 10/22 as an accurate out of the box rifle.
Atb with the project.

I do get your point about swapping everything but the rifle is gifted to me so wouldn't be buying the rifle and have spare funds to make some changes to it and make it my own rifle. Just wanted people opinion on the rifle what there like

Think of it like buying a classic car that needs restoring. You could spend 3-4 times as much on one that is already mint but some of us enjoy the work that goes into it and also the personalisation.

I did a lot of the mods on mine myself so didn't cost much apart from parts and with standard barrel it shot very well indeed. If you enjoy tinkering then go for it and do as much as you can and get the satisfaction of knowing you did it and not just spent a load of cash on something someone else built.

Back