Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Iron Sight for BRNO Combination gun

Rear Iron Sight for BRNO Combination gun

Help / advice needed please.

Would anyone know where I might find a rear iron sight that will fit on to the dovetail (14mm?) on my Brno combination 12g / .222?

The current "rear" sight is fairly primitive and quite close to the front sight so I'm thinking that a (better) sight further apart and nearer to the eye will be more accurate?

I tried a scope on it today and didn't like it at all.

There are several types available from Midway - but I could not find anything that will fit the BRNO / CZ.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Eyefor; 07-01-2015 at 18:34.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

A tricky one.

I think Kozap do a Weaver adapter for the Brno (though it may depend which model you have). That would give you a standard platform, making it easier to find a compatible receiver sight. However, the extra height in the rear sight is likely to require a taller front post. Some Brno's have a double-ended post that can be removed and turned on its head to change the POI, but even this may not be enough.

Have you thought of trying the gun with a low-profile red-dot sight? I know you can get bases for the Docter sight. I have one of these on my Brno 502. I wouldn't say the Docter Sight is more precise than the iron sights, but it is faster on target.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

What height do you need, measured from bottom of the sight in the dovetail, to the bottom of the notch?
    Recknagel makes lots of rear sight blades for a 14mm dovetail.
    If you want something windage and elevation adjustable, and your front sight is tall enough, buy the blade for the express sight base used on the 1990s Model 70 Express, from New England Custom Gun. I fitted one of these on a vintage Oberndorf Mauser and really like it, just as I did on my Model 70 .375 H&H.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win-m70-express-front-sight.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	51220

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win-m70-express-rear-sight-necg.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	51221If your front sight is low, you will have to buy one of the low blades from Recknagel, perhaps file it down a bit and cut your own notch. They make one with two blades, the taller blade in front, folding down, for two elevations.

Edit: See pages 10-14 of the link to the catalog below, by Mr Gain.
    A post of your front sight and rear dovetail would be helpful.
    Last edited by Southern; 07-01-2015 at 21:31.

Southern scores again!

See page 7
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Recknagel will do them - google their catalogue or speak with Alan Rhone.

Many thanks for the replies.

I have looked at the Recknagel catalogue and (from what I can see) they only do peep sights with a dovetail fitting but I think this type could block out the wider picture for live shooting?

Below are pictures of my front sight and my 14mm rail which has a locator lug.

Attachment 51263

Attachment 51265
    Attachment 51264

Also a link to New England Custom Gun (mentioned by Southern) who manufacture peep rear sights with a dovetail fitting - but no simple V sight?

Item Information At NewEnglandCustomGun.com

As southern points out any rear sight will need to be low?

Thanks .
    Last edited by Eyefor; 08-01-2015 at 09:59.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    14mm peep sight for CZ Item Information At NewEnglandCustomGun.com

Neil.
    Hi Neil,

That's the same one as in my reply above - the fitting is right but I'd prefer a V / blade style.

ATB

Iain

The sturdy V blade with a little round notch. like the one in the photo I posted off my Model 70 Express, is very quick to center up. It is fully adjustable, and sturdy; you are not going to break if off in the brush.

The blade is reversible. One side is plain, the other has a small white arrowhead pointing up to the notch. In bright daylight the front sight appears dark in that hood or without the hood. In dim light, and against dark fur, the white dot and arrowhead stand out and are easy to line up, just like a police pistol sight.

I really like peep rear sights - particularly the ones with dial in hole changes & elevation & windage adjusters. (old target rifle style). Plus the shrouded foresight type that has both a post & an apperture element on a pivot - both of which offer the same zero. - I have this on my mini BSA Martini .22LR - it's a joy to use & very flexible. - In reasonable light it's as good as a scope & much better than vee/notch sights for me as it doesn't suffer as much from poi cahnges with varying light!

Ian