Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buzzard Control

Buzzard Control

After reading a few articles about certain individuals including a game keeper in trouble with the law over birds of prey. I would like to ask others on there view on control of certain raptors for example Buzzards.
    I have noticed a huge increase in these birds over the last ten years and a decline in ground game. I know buzzards are not totally to blame as they eat carrion, roadkill etc

You are after all allowed to control Cormorants that had been decimating fish stocks. This is not directed at endangered species only the more common ones.

As has been said before on this site you will never gain Public-wide consensus for limited and considered control using the decline of game birds reared for sport as an argument. I don’t think they’ll be a great deal more sympathetic if subjected to the assertion that buzzard proliferation has impacted kestrel numbers in the Lowlands but such certainly is the kind of statistic if proven that would be more useful in making a case for control. Kind of in the way we are now seeing a certain grudging acceptance by wildlife trusts that covides and grey squirrel are responsible for a much reduced songbird population.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Yes grey squirrel magpies and seagulls

I don't care if we're talking buzzards, goshawks, badgers, or the lesser-spotted cheesy sock-beetle.........the countryside is now by and large an artificially-maintained ecosystem across large swathes of the UK. We've created this, so we have a duty to maintain the balance and if numbers of any species justify a cull, then a cull should take place. I know this doesn't tie in with the apparently-popular general view in some circles that we must appease the bunny-huggers at all costs, but tough. The people who oppose the need for control have zero understanding of what basis is used to determine why it should take place, and base their attitudes on emotive anthropomorphic sentimentality rather than balance and practicality

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I don't care if we're talking buzzards, goshawks, badgers, or the lesser-spotted cheesy sock-beetle.........the countryside is now by and large an artificially-maintained ecosystem across large swathes of the UK. We've created this, so we have a duty to maintain the balance and if numbers of any species justify a cull, then a cull should take place. I know this doesn't tie in with the apparently-popular general view in some circles that we must appease the bunny-huggers at all costs, but tough. The people who oppose the need for control have zero understanding of what basis is used to determine why it should take place, and base their attitudes on emotive anthropomorphic sentimentality rather than balance and practicality
    wow, don't go sitting on the fence there!! say what you really feel!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Who's balance?

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Widespreaddanger View Post
    After reading a few articles about certain individuals including a game keeper in trouble with the law over birds of prey. I would like to ask others on there view on control of certain raptors for example Buzzards.
    I have noticed a huge increase in these birds over the last ten years and a decline in ground game. I know buzzards are not totally to blame as they eat carrion, roadkill etc

You are after all allowed to control Cormorants that had been decimating fish stocks. This is not directed at endangered species only the more common ones.
    We stock the table for them can you blame any species taking advantage of such an overstocked larder. Personally I think any form of controll will be along time coming due to the relentless persecutions levels of them in the past + people enjoy seeing them.

Knock knock.....

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    wow, don't go sitting on the fence there!! say what you really feel!
    Always do............

It makes me friends and enemies in equal measure. The friends it gets me I value deeply, and my enemies can kiss my arse