Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whilst the tickets away.....

Whilst the tickets away.....

Afternoon all - my ticket's away for variation at the moment, however, I've got time available this coming Monday to stalk my ground. I called up A&S and they said that, although my variation will be dealt with and back very soon it's unlikely to be back by Monday. I queried with them if I went without my certificate (I usually take it with me) and just had my FAC number and recent photocopy, would I be ok to go? They came back with it 'would be at my own risk' if stopped and challenged.
    I know that others on here must have been in this situation before - I haven't though so just wanted your chaps take on it?

I photocopied mine before I sent it off, just in case it took a while.

I don't know what the legal requirement regarding having your ticket on you at all times whilst shooting actually is, to be honest. But I'd have thought if you at least had a note of your FAC number that would suffice? I made sure I had sufficient rounds for a few outings before I sent it off, but I really didn't even give it much thought apart from that

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Afternoon all - my ticket's away for variation at the moment, however, I've got time available this coming Monday to stalk my ground. I called up A&S and they said that, although my variation will be dealt with and back very soon it's unlikely to be back by Monday. I queried with them if I went without my certificate (I usually take it with me) and just had my FAC number and recent photocopy, would I be ok to go? They came back with it 'would be at my own risk' if stopped and challenged.
    I know that others on here must have been in this situation before - I haven't though so just wanted your chaps take on it?

At the end of the day if you have your driving license on you to show who you are then if you were to be challenged by a Police officer then it would show up on a PNC check that you were a firearms holder, I think it would need to be a complete an utter jobsworth to require sight of your fac after doing a check, probably more important to have your permission to shoot letter with you.

I always photocopy mine before I send it off just incase they decide to take something off I didn't request them to.

dont forget tho chaps theres allways a tulip amongst the daffodils,up until last year i had copies but there has been a few on here last year that where getting challenged so now everytime my guns are out so are my certs,
    DONT START

I have a copy on my phone and a paper copy of both certs just in case i need to send them off or just in case i wish to go out and carry proof for Mr plod but a PNC norm finds out if can hold a firearm.

I have been stopped once whilst foxing in wick with a rifle on my lap i. The front of a Suziki jimny. The police checked me and my mate on the system didn't ask for any idea and we're happy for us to crack on this was at the back of 1 in the morning I. Not sure it is a legal requirement to carry it.

in a perfect world you shouldnt with all the computer eleckie gizmo,s but as i say you only need one,wouldnt it all be a lot easier if it was all on swipe card?go in shop get your ammo swipe job done,variation /new mod swipe away you go,ah well one day maybe,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 08-01-2015 at 16:58.
    DONT START

The law requires you to produce your original FAC if so requested by a police officer, the officer has the power to sieze your firearms if you cannot produce your certificate, regardless of any copies, proof of your FAC you have or checks they have made.
    Its all a case of common sense and 99% of the time common sense will prevail but has the officer had a bad day, are they anti shooter or do they want to do you because they can? you wont know!
    However, if it was explained to the officer that i could not produce my original FAC because they already have it for variation, and they preceeded to sieze my firearms, i would be pretty pissed and a stiff letter would be forwarded to the chief constable.

TB.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 08-01-2015 at 17:12.

I think you will find it is a legal requirement to have your certificate with you whenever you have guns with you, if you havent then a police officer has the right to take your guns from you there and then and keep them until you can produce the certificate

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I think you will find it is a legal requirement to have your certificate with you whenever you have guns with you, if you havent then a police officer has the right to take your guns from you there and then and keep them until you can produce the certificate
    Not quite, you have to hold a certificate, but do not have to carry it.
    However a police officer could remove your firearms until you produce it.
    Most times it never gets that far, as others have said if you have ID or are in your
    vehicle they will be able to check easily.
    So in the end it boils down to you, if you get stopped on your way to your permission
    I would not go without your certificate, if like me you are never looked at I'd be happy
    enough knowing it was safe at home. Only time I carry mine is if travelling away from
    home base, holidays and the like.

Neil.