Antique (pre 1939) Air Guns and the VCR? Over 18 proof?

enfieldspares

I am of the opinion that the VCR exemptions on antique air rifles...face to face...applies to air gun RFDs so can be sent by post BUT that regardless of that any seller, RFD or private must nevertheless (even though it is an antique air gun) still satisfy themselves that the buyer is over 18.

Opinions please!

I am of the opinion that the VCR exemptions on antique air rifles...face to face...applies to air gun RFDs so can be sent by post BUT that regardless of that any seller, RFD or private must nevertheless (even though it is an antique air gun) still satisfy themselves that the buyer is over 18.

Opinions please![/QUOTE

Antique is no different than non Antique when it comes to age restriction, in my humble opinion. It's the age issue of the person not of the Air Rifle.

Stan

Opinions please![/QUO
Antique is no different than non Antique when it comes to age restriction, in my humble opinion. It's the age issue of the person not of the Air Rifle.

Stan

it has to be FTF or rfd

Ok all. The guidance is clear that antiques do not have to be FTF even if sold by a person with an AIR RFD. But appears unclear on whether, nevertheless, the seller must satisfy that the purchaser is over 18. That's what I am trying to ascertain.

Ok all. The guidance is clear that antiques do not have to be FTF even if sold by a person with an AIR RFD. But appears unclear on whether, nevertheless, the seller must satisfy that the purchaser is over 18. That's what I am trying to ascertain.

My belief is that FTF is required, same as selling alcohol or tobacco, with regard to age restrictions.

A simple phone call to Trading Standards (not Firearms Licencing) will provide your answer.

Stan

I will try Trading Standards and BASC, both, tomorrow, but welcome further replies.

make sure you ask the Trading stds officer for your county as they are all independent so no over all binding path to follow think of it as the Fire arms act with no HO guidlines to try a and sort out a country wide approach
even the trading stds Institute cant help much as only 50% belong to that group

so your county officer is the one to say how to keep safe from him

I've asked BASC, this is their reply:

Section 58(2) of the 1968 firearms act say "Nothing in this Act relating to firearms shall apply to an antique firearm which is sold, transferred, purchased, acquired or possessed as a curiosity or ornament."

The definition of firearm includes 'air weapons' of any lethal power rating. Forensically it is accepted that lethality begins at 1 joule (0.73 ft lbs). So the majority of air rifles (which would otherwise be a low powered (sub 12 ft lb) air rifle (or a section 1 firearm) if they were not an antiques through age), are in fact not subject to age restriction laws contained earlier in the 1968 Act when possessed as a curiosity or ornament having been established as an antique i.e. As from a bygone age as described by the OED.

The new Home Office guidance contains an accepted list of antique air weapons authored by Bill Harriman and I. The other route is to have an air weapon verified by an accredited or established expert.

The same in fact applies to all antique firearms.

BASC Senior Firearms Officer Matt Perring

Last edited:
Ps FTF is not required either where a dealer or individual sells an antique air weapon. Key wording from s58(2) is "nothing in this act shall apply to........ An antique firearm.......

Yes it is on the list. A BSA Standard CS prefix serial. .177 calibre. It was the over eighteen part as the possible buyer seemed reluctant to send me a declaration that he was over eighteen with a photocopy of a utility bill. It beggars belief that sometimes people think that you are wanting "the earth" from them. As he was keen, very, very, keen to post me the money IN CASH to pay for it. And have it sent by Royal Mail parcels to him.

The item is on Guntrader at about £ 165 or thereabouts from memory I think. But it is the over 18 requirement that was causing concern. The FTF not being required, in any case as I'm not doing it as a business it doesn't apply, was my concern. The potential buyer is in Gwent in fact.

Last edited:
Gwent - then if they use that in their address definately be suspicious as Gwent as a county disappeared in 1996. :stir: :rofl:

(Never was a real county in my mind anyway).

Back