Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SD going down the Ebay route?

SD going down the Ebay route?

Ebay once was a great medium for folk to buy and sell unwanted and items no longer of use and now is ruined by shops and trade members basically selling their stock at no or little discount and i see the SD trade members following suit on here. Used to be for joe public offloading gear but now it's shop after shop clogging up the classifieds?
    PS, i have nothing for sale or intend to.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Ebay once was a great medium for folk to buy and sell unwanted and items no longer of use and now is ruined by shops and trade members basically selling their stock at no or little discount and i see the SD trade members following suit on here. Used to be for joe public offloading gear but now it's shop after shop clogging up the classifieds?
    PS, i have nothing for sale or intend to.
    My god you don't mind upsetting the brownshirts do you?

Do you mean things like expensive high end shotguns

I.agree that some of the ad sections are a bit cluttered, but on the other hand trade members pay fees which keep the site going and fund the bursary scheme. That allows them to advertise here. Nobody's making you buy it and it's not as if they're pushing aside the users who.are buying and selling used stuff.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Leave the man alone. Everyone deserves to have a honk now & again

So you finally managed to sell a shotgun or swaro night vision then ?.....
    :-)

Paul

The Classifieds section was something only originally offered for the convenience of our members - remember back when it was only one section! But it has turned out way more popular than we ever anticipated. Maybe you consider it 'ruined' because it isn't just a few items of second hand goods any more but plenty of others find it better because of the diversity of stuff now available. And discounts are available from some of our trade members too. And it's fixed price. Oh and it's free to ordinary members.

So not really like eBay at all...

Just looked at the "clothing & footwear" first page and of 20 listings 12 are by the same member. I have bought and sold many items on SD to and from private members at an agreed price but if i want new kit i find it is cheaper on the search engines.

It's the sellers' prerogative to price them how they like (too high and they won't sell.... as you know ) just like it's your prerogative to go elsewhere to buy. The popularity of the Classifieds suggests to me it's far from 'ruined'.

the risk I suppose is that any tom dick or harry can buy a trade membership and upload their entire retail premises stock on here, clogging up pages and pages...for that I believe there should be an element of 'control' by admin, ie, it's not an outlet and perhaps a trade member can only advertise max 5 items at a time...
    just to stir things up, funny how chap from valkyrie is allowed to advertise that custom rifle on behalf of their client (someone else) who bought it.