Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Dies

Cleaning Dies

What should you clean dies with, and particularly when storing them what you spray them with to keep them from rusting. I have to hand some spray on dry lubricant that would give a protective film but not be sticky.

Keep them in a warm and non humid place.

Clean then whenever they get dirty with a brake solvent cleaner (I use an aerosol spray) and dissassemble the die internals, re lube with a spray of WD40 and wipe excess off.

They dont rust if you stick to this reigime.

Always use cleaned (tumbled brass)

Sweet Mother of Pearl!! You're supposed to clean your reloading dies after you use them??? Good Lord Almighty!

Hmmm...

Sounds like a lot of bother. I'll just use clean brass and leave the residual resizing lube in the die as a rust preventative.~Muir

Lmao! Just found out why mine rust !

I clean mine maybe once or twice yearly to get the "crud" out that accumulates in the upper section, I dont clean after every reloading session.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Sweet Mother of Pearl!! You're supposed to clean your reloading dies after you use them??? Good Lord Almighty!

Hmmm...

Sounds like a lot of bother. I'll just use clean brass and leave the residual resizing lube in the die as a rust preventative.~Muir
    OUTSTANDING

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hmmm well I clean my dies when they need doing ( leavign dents in shoulders due to lub build up) and not before. Seems to work for me.

What lube do you use? I have switched to Hornady's "One Shot" lube except for heavy resizing and then I use Imperial Sizing Wax.~Muir

Lyman quick case spray lube for me, although I keep a tube of rcbs case lube 2 at the back of the shelving, just in case I forget to re order,the Lyman spray is very good I find, it has a very light thin nature,& can be let dry if you wish to go that route, also has an agreeable odour to boot.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Dear oh dear I must promise to buck up, I use rcbs lube been reloading for over twenty years and have never had to clean my dies.