This evenings high seat outing

Well I went out tonight on a small permission that has a high seat on the edge of a wood.
From the seat there is a view along a 250m stretch of the wood in one direction to the end of the wood. I was quite comfy waiting to see what appeared when about 4pm I watch a bloke, walk straight across a crop field to the far end of the wood. He stops there for a it looks all around & then disappears into the wood.
5 minutes later he reappears & wanders along the edge of the wood towards my high seat. He keeps stopping & looking into the wood at various places.
He gets about 50m's away from the high seat, when due to me unloading & removing my face covering he realises that I am sat their.
When asked what he was doing he stated he was just going for a walk & decided to walk across a crop field & around a wood, miles from any footpath.
I was very polite & explained that he shouldn't be there & that I was conducting deer management for the farmer.
He replied, "Have you seen much"
"No" Funny that, don't you just love some people

I've had a truck drive into the field and stop 20 yards in front of my pigeon hide, only noticing me when I stood up to unload.
im in Essex too....must be the local population.

I was pigeon shooting 1 day in a hide along a hedge and i got up to take a shot to notice about 20 lost rambelers to my left. They went mad at me. They didnt give a hoot they were a mile from a foot path. They said they have the right to roam! People just do what they want

Makes you wonder what chance wildlife has for the future .I normally ask them where they live then suggest that I will walk my dogs through their house every day and see what they do after a week or two (move out) it often gets the point across.

I have to say- this is one of the areas that the UK and the USA differ most dramatically.

I truly enjoyed the ability to walk where I would (I did stay on marked trails) but all the time, in the back of my mind I was thinking how completely Wrong this walking would be at home. This is at least as big a difference as our 2nd Amendment is to your concept of firearms.

Right or wrong, in the vast majority of the USA land is considered private and off limits without permission (usually written). On my own property, the majority of which is unfenced, I can charge anyone with trespassing for even accidentally being on the property. Most state laws allow criminal charges to be levied even without posted signs. Granted, some western states are less strict, but even there a landowner/leaseholder can demand someone remove themselves from the property and be backed by the full force of the law.

we have no right to roam, and instead have enshrined property rights.

Not saying either is the right answer, but your travails are almost impossible to understand from and American viewpoint.

I have to say- this is one of the areas that the UK and the USA differ most dramatically.

I truly enjoyed the ability to walk where I would (I did stay on marked trails) but all the time, in the back of my mind I was thinking how completely Wrong this walking would be at home. This is at least as big a difference as our 2nd Amendment is to your concept of firearms.

Right or wrong, in the vast majority of the USA land is considered private and off limits without permission (usually written). On my own property, the majority of which is unfenced, I can charge anyone with trespassing for even accidentally being on the property. Most state laws allow criminal charges to be levied even without posted signs. Granted, some western states are less strict, but even there a landowner/leaseholder can demand someone remove themselves from the property and be backed by the full force of the law.

we have no right to roam, and instead have enshrined property rights.

Not saying either is the right answer, but your travails are almost impossible to understand from and American viewpoint.

Yes, and the problem over here too, is if you confront/question someone with a firearm in your possession, the next thing you have a policeman knocking at your door, and your the one being charged with armed intimidation! Not happened to me by the way, but i've heard of it. You have to be careful!

Had this also the guy and his dog had climbed over a locked gate with a 2"6' reflective warning sign stating shooting in progress. I was sat against a fence post in full leaf suit so I let him get within 5 yards of me before I spoke, I'm sure he filled his pants, before he asked if it was ok to still go for a walk. I replied that I couldn't stop him but there was 4 other rifles out (he didn't need to know I was on my own) he decided to leave.
Wingy

We have fisherman (who shouldn't be fished there either) walk through our shoot. I kept still one evening and they walked right up to me. Never saw me til I spoke. Certainly made them jump but was also conformation that I was well hidden! One car that regulalry used to park and fish was a taxi. So one day I rang their despatch office from the number on his car. I explained that I 'represented' the authorities we were watching his car and that what the driver was doing illegal. 5 mins later this fella comes bursting out of the trees, into his car and away!

Taxi anyone?

One part of a permission I have has a public right of way through part of it. It's not a major inconvenience as it's not used very often & then generally only in Summer. I have had the odd occasion with particularly quiet folk where I've had to debate whether to remain where I was & let people walk a few feet past me, or let them know I was there. Up until now I've opted for the former as I'm sure the sudden appearance of a bloke dressed like a bush & holding a rifle might be disconcerting to some :lol:

Back