Motorist - police let off

paultap

Hi guys

Yesterday I reported the possibly of an abandoned car parked about 10 yards away from my house.The car has been there for the best part of two months now. The tax disc is still on the car and ran out in November. It is parked with two wheels on the pavement and two wheels on the road. The car is a 57 plate peugeot 207 and looks to be, externally at least, in good nick.

Out of interest I typed the reg into a Government site, surprise, surprise, it is not taxed, not MOT'd and is also not insured. I informed the police of this also and I was told they would look into it. They said that they would not be able to give me any details of the owner who I assumed was local.

I had a return call today back from the police saying that they were looking into it and were contacting the owner.... I asked if the owner was local and I was told yes, but they couldn't give out any more information. I then stated that as the car was illegally parked, had no tax, mot or insurance that I presumed the owner would be prosecuted, as any other motorist would be if stopped on a public road by the police....... There was a long pause and I was told that In the first instance they would give the owner a chance to rectify all the above before proceding anything further.

Very considerate of them I thought! The last time I drove 6 mph over the speed limit and was photographed by a camera, I ended up with 3 points and a fine!... My car by the was was fully taxed, insured and had a valid mot!..... I was a bit miffed to say the least!

Last edited:
Paul.
You're law abiding, working,pay your taxes and you're easily traced and prosecuted if necessary.
You tick all the easy boxes for the stats.
Others don't.
Simples
:)

Last edited:
To be honest I can't believe they left it. It's as easy as take a look, confirm it is there, VRM as stated, check Tax, MOT & insurance then contact DVLA who will then come and move the vehicle. So not much effort on the part of the police at all, just laziness I'm afraid, wonder who would be liable now the police are aware of it, if someone injured themselves trying to walk past it as it's partially obstructing the pavement?
Wingy

letter of complaint to local plod, cc'd to force Chief Constable and MP , maybe the local rag as well.

Cops are too busy chasing kids on uninsured mopeds over wasteland at 28.5mph in their £3,000,000 eurocopters?

In all fairness we have no idea of the situation here - the owner may be out of the country and simply forgot about it or could have something going on in his life!

I remember years ago a guy i worked with's daughter was critically ill and had to be flown to a hospital for emergency surgery - rightly or wrongly he wanted to ensure he saw her alive and so drove very fast to get there in time - it's not legal but at the end of the day if it was one of mine I would do the exact same - if someone purposely tried to hold me up for no good reason other than them doing the good citizen thing then i'd be pretty upset and would ensure they were aware of it...

My point being that there are usually two sides to the story!

Regards,

Gixer

As Wingy has kind of alluded to if the owner isn't present then most of the offences can not be dealt with by the police anyway, but they probably should have contacted the DVLA who may have had it removed but are more likely to send out a letter to the owner. Seems a bit shabby all round really.

There is two sides to every story maybe it's a policemans car, not that I'm in any way suggesting anything.

If the tax has run out they will have a fine automatically issued. For all we know the police knocked on the door and found a 3 month dead body.

I will update this thread if I find out anything about who the owner of the car is and the circumstances surrounding it.

If you contact your Council they have powers to have it served notice and removed! I think it's a seven day ticket!

Im suprised they dont nick them. I know a copper well and they have targets to meet. This would be an easy 1! Police take the **** when they want. The last time i needed the police because a old neighbour kicked our door in they nicked me!

It has been sitting for 2 months, it couldn't have bothered you to much and police aren't acting quick enough:D

Al

Police around here have been told to stop vehicles leaving newly built housing developments and prosecute drivers that haven't changed their details on their licence. Big revenue raiser and technically the licence is not valid.

Police around here have been told to stop vehicles leaving newly built housing developments and prosecute drivers that haven't changed their details on their licence. Big revenue raiser and technically the licence is not valid.

Doesnt raise money for the police though, it goes back to DVLA or local government along with speeding fines etc. most goes into new speed restrictions and traffic calming. There are too many 'technical' offences that are never dealt with otherwise it would bring the whole system to a standstill. As to no tax, the DVLA won't send out a warning letter until 90 days so it's only if you get caught using the vehicle that you may get a non-endorseable fine from the police, if it's unnattended there is no power other than to refer to DVLA.

Back