Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European ELK

European ELK

Has anyone been to Sweden or anywhere else on a ELK/Moose hunt quite fancy it something a bit different found an outfitter on a site called EUROPEAN HUNTING
    have any of you guy's been with them ?

Drag1

We went to Estonia 2 years ago. Had a great time. It was 2 days driven hunting and we joined a local hunting group for it. Very well run and accomadation was very good. The price was also very good. I will try to find out who we went with as my Finish friends organised it.If you like.
    TuskerAttachment 51433

Organised Moose/Elk hunting is not easy to undertake as many get clients to join local hunting groups. Having hunted Moose successfully with friends in Finland the only way you can have a reasonable chance at a Moose is by hunting with one or two men and with a very GOOD Moose hound to track the right animal. If you are lucky you can then approach the barking dog and get a shot, but its NOT guaranteed.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

+1 on what Malc says - I once went to Sweden after the mythical elk. We hunted in the traditional way with the dogs - we drew a blank & the only elk I saw was on the way back to the main airport Ostersund in a helecopter we saw two about 10km apart. They are so easy to spot from the air against the snow!!

Ian

From what Yorric and malc are saying I would deffinatly try Estonia. We had 5 moose and saw 3 others. I am told September when they are rutting is the most succesful time.
    Tusker

In Estonia the moose season is from 15th September to 15th December.

September is reserved for bull moose, and using dogs or doing driven hunt is only allowed from 1st October. So in September it would be ambush (varitsusjahti), stalking (hiilimisjahti) or call hunt (peibutusjahti). All translations by my poor Estonian skills, e.g. peibutus means something like "attraction" so includes using decoys, non-electric sound devices etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    In Estonia the moose season is from 15th September to 15th December.

September is reserved for bull moose, and using dogs or doing driven hunt is only allowed from 1st October. So in September it would be ambush (varitsusjahti), stalking (hiilimisjahti) or call hunt (peibutusjahti). All translations by my poor Estonian skills, e.g. peibutus means something like "attraction" so includes using decoys, non-electric sound devices etc.
    Id love to see what a moose decoy looks like!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Id love to see what a moose decoy looks like!
    They look like moose

If you do a search on Google for "moose decoy" you will see several varieties, mostly either silhouette or inflatable (ooer missus)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    They look like moose

If you do a search on Google for "moose decoy" you will see several varieties, mostly either silhouette or inflatable (ooer missus)
    I think I may leave googling "inflatable moose " until I'm not using my work laptop.....!!!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drag1 View Post
    Has anyone been to Sweden or anywhere else on a ELK/Moose hunt quite fancy it something a bit different found an outfitter on a site called EUROPEAN HUNTING
    have any of you guy's been with them ?

Drag1
    I haven't been with that outfitter, but I have been moose hunting. There's a write-up in the Articles section: There's a moose, loose, aboot this hoose.....

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. It's not like stalking here as (at least in my case) we sat in low seats, high seats or in stands on the logging roads whilst the guys with the dogs went to find and move the moose. There were two "drives" each day - two moose were shot by those in stands and two by the guys with the dogs.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!